Topping up insulation.

:house_with_garden: French DIY - challenges & solutions, Painting & Wallpapering etc.
L Austin France

Topping up insulation.

#1 Post by L Austin France »

I'd like to top up the ceiling insulation in the loft which at present only has 100mm fibreglass due to my lack of forethought when I rebuilt it 16 years ago. At that time it was only meant as holiday accomodation for the family but now I'd like to make it permanent & add heating .
The ceiling won't support peoples weight but as I fitted 3 traps I can blow in extra insulation quite easily.
The roof was re-slated & fitted with underfelt recently so no chance of leaks. Any reasons why I shouldn't blow more insulation on top of the existing fibreglass?

Hotrodder

Re: Topping up insulation.

#2 Post by Hotrodder »

Can't think of any reason not to. I have seen the bales of stuff suitable for the job and I assume you can rent the blower from somewhere. Just be sure to wear a top quality mask to stop you breathing in the tiny particles of fibreglass that will be disturbed during the process.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

#3 Post by niemeyjt »

Is it too for the €1 offer?

Otherwise, will blowing block any air vents?

L Austin France

#4 Post by L Austin France »

niemeyjt wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:09 pm Is it too for the €1 offer?

Otherwise, will blowing block any air vents?
I'll do it myself as I'ts a smallish flat bit in an otherwise pitched roof. Like Hotrodder says , I can hire the gear. The only thing I'll need to do is box up the trap frames to contain the stuff.
No air vents to block as they were fitted in the pitched roof above the ceiling when slates replaced

Spectrum

#5 Post by Spectrum »

You need to put in perhaps another 300mm, I have 400mm in the new build for the currant regs, if you get it form a builders merchants they may lend you the blower, or hire it cheaply to you, I know our local one does "Chas****"