Prices/availability of wooden building materials

:house_with_garden: French DIY - challenges & solutions, Painting & Wallpapering etc.
Bayleaf

Prices/availability of wooden building materials

#1 Post by Bayleaf »

I've heard general price hikes (and problems of availability) of certain wooden building supplies. Would this normally run to chipboard as well? Someone is replacing an old oak floor. The joists have been replaced, and they would rather lay a layer of chipboard down before then putting down new oak planks. Is there any gain to this, as it sounds like it just increases the cost and labour? I know this is done in the UK, but not so much in France.

Do prices of chipboard fluctuate - especially at the moment? It would have to be chipboard that would cope with possibility of damp underneath (although all measures have been taken to eradicate dampness)

Ta in advance!

hughnique

Re: Prices/availability of wooden building materials

#2 Post by hughnique »

Possibly OSB would be more suited, it comes in differing types, I think, not sure, Type 3 is suitable for damp conditions.

Hotrodder

#3 Post by Hotrodder »

There is a variant of chipboard that is damp resistant (not fully waterproof) that is a bit more expensive and tinted slightly greenish for identification. I wouldn't imagine that anyone who can afford to lay a new oak floor will need to quibble about extra expense.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Doug

#4 Post by Doug »

For wood and ply sheets here's a firm.
The Reclamation Yard.
Ansac-sur- Viene.
We got some excellent 18mm marine ply at less than half price of other business.
A long way for us but used it for a day out through countryside not seen.

Bayleaf

#5 Post by Bayleaf »

Probably a tad far for the builder laying the new floor too - he relies on delivery or someone else doing the donkey work, his French is extremely limited. I'm not sure the price is the problem, that may just be an excuse to delay continuing, but that's another story entirely! :lol:

Doug

#6 Post by Doug »

Bayleaf wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:10 pm Probably a tad far for the builder laying the new floor too - he relies on delivery or someone else doing the donkey work, his French is extremely limited. I'm not sure the price is the problem, that may just be an excuse to delay continuing, but that's another story entirely! :lol:
The firm is English, in fact he couldn't understand me speaking french on the phone.

Bayleaf

#7 Post by Bayleaf »

Damn shame they're not closer then!

Doug

#8 Post by Doug »

Bayleaf wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:58 pm Damn shame they're not closer then!
Compared to us its just round the corner.
Un loaded the ply this morning, it comes from the uk and is much better than ever found in France.
Their site is.
www.thereclamationyard.com