Plasterboard

:house_with_garden: French DIY - challenges & solutions, Painting & Wallpapering etc.
Spectrum

Plasterboard

#11 Post by Spectrum »

The two tapered edges are for dry lining, if you butt up the flush edges you have to plaster, both need skriming, and some sort of tape, paper or cloth for strengthening.

rsm

Plasterboard

#12 Post by rsm »

no you can make the fill in joint much wider and feather the edge to nothing or take a "surform " style plane and make a tapered joint.

Hotrodder

Plasterboard

#13 Post by Hotrodder »

The ends taper when you twist them. 8-)
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Spectrum

Plasterboard

#14 Post by Spectrum »

rsm wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:52 pm no you can make the fill in joint much wider and feather the edge to nothing or take a "surform " style plane and make a tapered joint.
Well I have never seen pros do it that way, but hey what do I know :shh:

Nomoss

Plasterboard

#15 Post by Nomoss »

The only time I have to make butt joint without a feathered edge is when joining a cut board edge (i.e. when reaching a corner in the wall).
In this case I'm joining a square edge to a tapered one, which I have in the past just taped and skimmed quite successfully.
However, tapering the square edge with a surform seems a good idea.
I've used my old surform for trimming plasterboard damaged edges in the past, and it wears out the cutting edges quite quickly, though.

hughnique

Plasterboard

#16 Post by hughnique »

As I can't plaster anything large to save my life it will be white side out and I usually use that sticky backed scrim, like an old bandage and fill over at the joints, then sand flat. I watched a couple of UTube vids on the subject, so easy when you know how, I must learn to be patient and not try and get it all flat in one go. Last time I tried to plaster a small wall here the trowel had got stuck in the bucket before I had a chance to get it on the wall, learnt afterwards always get 2000l, it lasts longer

Hotrodder

Plasterboard

#17 Post by Hotrodder »

I admit to being 100% inept at plastering. Fine if a "rustique" effect is required on a panel to be used on a theatre stage set but of little use elsewhere.

All this puzzling to me after years of doing car body repair, panel beating, filling, and bringing up to a sprayed finish. :roll:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.