Advice on moving gas bottle

French Plumbing - 'how to', supplies & regulations; Heating - options & installation; Septic tanks - regulations & installation
Mangetout

#1 Post by Mangetout »

I need to replace a 35kg propane gas bottle. It's stored outside under an open shelter at the side if the house and the gas is piped through into the house.

I've managed to unscrew it and get it into the back of the car. And I'm hoping someone will be able to help me lift the new one into the car.

The problems will start when I get back home. I think I can slide it out of the car. The area around the store is gravelled so I intend to clear that as much as possible and flatten it. I will need to move the bottle about 2 metres to the connection point.

Any tips on how best to do this on my own? For those of you who don't know me, and why should you, I'm a woman coming up to 70 so advice needs to be appropriate. I would add I'm fairly determined!

Blaze

#2 Post by Blaze »

Have you got a sack trolley, Mangetout ? If not, you can tip it on its side and roll it (been there and done it !). Try not to lift it if you can possibly avoid it (you could do yourself an injury). The difficult part will getting it out of the car, particularly if it's in a boot which isn't flat at the back. Not sure how to solve that one ...

exile

#3 Post by exile »

The easiest way to move a bottle like this without a trolley is to stand it up*; tilt it slightly letting the top of the bottle rest firmly on your shoulder; and roll it on its bottom rim. In that sense, a gravel floor may not be your best friend since the rim of the bottle will tend to sink in rather than roll.

*Pull it out of the car base first so the base touches the ground then tip up the top to get it to stand upright.

It all sounds very easy but I fear it won' be that easy

Mangetout

#4 Post by Mangetout »

Thanks for the replies. It will come out of the car easily, says she !, because the boot is flat. And rolling it on the rim was my preferred way of doing it. That's the way my husband always did it. I do have a sack trolley but it's too small and I think I'll be in more danger using it. But I just wondered if there was another way that I hadn't thought of. If I can find something large enough which is flat and hard, I could put that on the gravel. So far nothing to hand but I'll keep looking.

Blaze

#5 Post by Blaze »

If you're going to roll it on the rim, you could try a piece of carpet/rug/mat which might be easier than the gravel.

Mangetout

#6 Post by Mangetout »

Good idea blaze. It had crossed my mind. I've got an old rug that might do it. I am picking up (not literally) the bottle tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Nomoss

#7 Post by Nomoss »

I think you should ask someone a bit younger/heavier to help.
Much better than risking injury if you can't manage to keep the bottle under control.

Mangetout

#8 Post by Mangetout »

All my neighbours and friends are elderly. But no doubt I will be able to find someone if it proves impossible.

Loup-garou

#9 Post by Loup-garou »

Too late now I guess but might next time be an opportunity to change to the smaller bottles - ideally plastic. I suppose you'd need a longer hose or to sit a smaller bottle up on something.

A rug is a sound idea to stop the bottom sinking - not planking as, if the bottom slips off, it'll have to be lifted back on but a wide board type would work a treat. Sorry I'm not nearer!

Blaze

#10 Post by Blaze »

You could ask at your local Mairie if they know someone who could give you a hand.