Advice on moving gas bottle

French Plumbing - 'how to', supplies & regulations; Heating - options & installation; Septic tanks - regulations & installation
Hotrodder

#11 Post by Hotrodder »

The option to switch to smaller bottles would turn out to be an expensive one, even more so with the plastic ones.
I once worked as a welder's mate and often had to move large gas and oxygen bottles across muddy building sites. The suggestions above pretty much cover all your options. The best in my view is to get someone else to do it for you. I'm on daily pain killers from lifting things heavier than me over the years. Best avoided.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

L Austin France

#12 Post by L Austin France »

You might be able to lay it down, loop a rope around the neck/valve & drag it along the gravel.
At least this way it would be under control & can't fall any further.
An alternative would be to roll it using a lever if it can't be done by hand.

basquesteve

#13 Post by basquesteve »

Use a friendly Taxi firm to obtain the bottle and take it /you home

rsm

#14 Post by rsm »

Or have it delivered

Spectrum

#15 Post by Spectrum »

When we lived in the caravan for 11 yrs we always had two bottles, then if there was a problem there was always time to sort it out while still have a "new" bottle on standby.

Mangetout

#16 Post by Mangetout »

A round of applause please ...... I did it. I won't say it was easy, and I've no doubt I've worsened my back and neck problems, but the key was rolling it on the rim on the carpet. Bit of a dodgy moment pulling it out of the car because it started to fall sideways but instinct kicked in and I repositioned it. I shan't be doing that again, thank God. Thanks for all your advice everyone.

Mangetout

#17 Post by Mangetout »

basquesteve wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:40 pm Use a friendly Taxi firm to obtain the bottle and take it /you home
These bottles are big, such that you need a large people carrier with the back seats out to get it in the boot. Can't see a taxi doing that, or heaving gas bottles around. It's not what they're in business to do. But thanks for the thought.

Mangetout

#18 Post by Mangetout »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:11 am When we lived in the caravan for 11 yrs we always had two bottles, then if there was a problem there was always time to sort it out while still have a "new" bottle on standby.
We also run the same system, but during the last year of his life my husband was unable to replace the bottles and I didn't want to make him feel useless by trying to do it whilst he was still alive. It would have broken his heart to watch me struggle.

Mangetout

#19 Post by Mangetout »

rsm wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:35 am Or have it delivered
There is no delivery service available round here.

rsm

#20 Post by rsm »