Gas bottle connectors - Lyre

French Plumbing - 'how to', supplies & regulations; Heating - options & installation; Septic tanks - regulations & installation
Headers

#1 Post by Headers »

We have 2 sets of Propane gas bottles supplying cookers in the house.
They both have external cupboards and use copper pipe to get the gas into the house. There is a switch over system for each. They’ve been there a while. Each bottle gets changed maybe once a year or less.
The last time a bottle needed changing, I ventured into the spidery confines of the cupboard and
Looked at the short connectors and they are all way out of date! So we have ordered new ‘lifetime’ lyres to replace them.
They are much more expensive than the normal rubber ones and I suspect we’ll never change them again because either cooking on gas will no longer be allowed or we won’t be here.

Quiksilver

#2 Post by Quiksilver »

I thought the rubber hoses were pretty expensive, so these lyres must be breathtaking! Still, if they give peace of mind it's worth it :)

hughnique

#3 Post by hughnique »

See the price of the gas has shot up as expected 39€ this time.

Polarengineer

#4 Post by Polarengineer »

Lyre. That was a new word for me. I always thought it was a musical instrument or a politicien

Spectrum

#5 Post by Spectrum »

New word for me as well, just bought a new one for a cat heater in the garage, we are talking about the grey gas pipes I assume? 20€ for a meter length, just the brass unions at each end.

MAD87

#6 Post by MAD87 »

Polarengineer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:09 am Lyre. That was a new word for me. I always thought it was a musical instrument or a politicien
Me too!

Char
Site Admin

#7 Post by Char »

C'est quoi une lyre gaz ?
Les lyres sont des flexibles haute pression, servant à raccorder des bouteilles de butane ou de propane.

L Austin France

#8 Post by L Austin France »

Char wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:54 am C'est quoi une lyre gaz ?
Les lyres sont des flexibles haute pression, servant à raccorder des bouteilles de butane ou de propane.
Am I correct in assuming that the only high pressure flexibles are those at bottle pressure of anywhere around 5 -10 bar, dependant on temperature, between the gas bottles & a changeover gizmo with a pressure reducing valve on downstream side of the gizmo supplying low pressure gas at approx 30Mb?
If this is the case, no wonder they're expensive.

exile

#9 Post by exile »

Anything between the bottle and the pressure reducer will be at bottle pressure - which can be up to 16 bar in summer.

Our set up is very different with a single bottle and reducer directly connected so our flexibles are at low pressure.

L Austin France

#10 Post by L Austin France »

exile wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:35 pm Anything between the bottle and the pressure reducer will be at bottle pressure - which can be up to 16 bar in summer.

Our set up is very different with a single bottle and reducer directly connected so our flexibles are at low pressure.
Yes I know that.
My question was an attempt to confirm that only high pressure hoses are called Lyres. Les lyres sont des flexibles haute pression, servant à raccorder des bouteilles de butane ou de propane.