YUCK !!!!

French Plumbing - 'how to', supplies & regulations; Heating - options & installation; Septic tanks - regulations & installation
L Austin France

YUCK !!!!

#1 Post by L Austin France »

This morning I cleaned the grease out of the grease trap,washed out the fosse pre-filter media & hosed out the garden filter's weir manhole.
That's the true definition of a shitty job :roll:

Lori

YUCK !!!!

#2 Post by Lori »

I could never have that job..

Mangetout

YUCK !!!!

#3 Post by Mangetout »

I need to change the filter rocks in my filter chamber but I just can't lift the basket. Too heavy. And I'm damned if I can find a service that does it. The company that empties the fosse septique isn't interested. So it'll have to stay dirty.

L Austin France

YUCK !!!!

#4 Post by L Austin France »

Mangetout wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:21 pm I need to change the filter rocks in my filter chamber but I just can't lift the basket. Too heavy. And I'm damned if I can find a service that does it. The company that empties the fosse septique isn't interested. So it'll have to stay dirty.
Very rare to have to change the pouzzolane. Normally a shake & hose through is good enough as apparently the small particles that would pass by the rocks
are attracted to it rather than absorbed so can easily be cleaned.
If your fosse emptying folk are amenable it would be easy to hose the basket's rocks in situ when the fosse's level has been dropped when emptying or even wash the muck back into the empty fosse whilst refilling it with water.
I lift out the basket using the hook end of a crowbar, slip a broom handle through the basket's handle, lift to let it drain a bit & get the missus to help me carry it to a place in the garden where I can hose it through. Hardly any mess & we stay clean.

Mangetout

YUCK !!!!

#5 Post by Mangetout »

I think it's recommended that it's changed every 10 years or so. Mine is always hosed through when the fosse is emptied but this time round it seems to that things are flowing more slowly and when the fosse was controlled pre sale the guy said change them. I might stand a chance of levering the basket up as you describe, but being on my own I don't think I'll be able to lift it out.