Tomorrow's the day

French Plumbing - 'how to', supplies & regulations; Heating - options & installation; Septic tanks - regulations & installation
DaveW

Tomorrow's the day

#11 Post by DaveW »

I like the floor mounted indoor units, I think I will go for that when I replace the old units. Out of interest, why didn’t you go for a single outdoor pump to service both indoor units?

L Austin France

Tomorrow's the day

#12 Post by L Austin France »

DaveW wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:58 pm I like the floor mounted indoor units, I think I will go for that when I replace the old units. Out of interest, why didn’t you go for a single outdoor pump to service both indoor units?
Because it was a grand more expensive & I liked the idea that I wouldn't lose everything if it packed up. A single one is no doubt more aesthetically pleasing but I wasn't too worried about looks as long as it was a good engineering job.
No real reason to think this but my existing similar Mitsubishi kitchen set up is showing no signs of problems 7 years later.
I've got a high level cassette unit in the kitchen where it looks fine & doesn't take up floor space but didn't want this, to my mind, semi industrial unit in the living rooms.

Blaze

Tomorrow's the day

#13 Post by Blaze »

Thanks LAF. That looks like a tidy job. We don't know anyone here that had any installed but the running costs sound interesting.

DaveW

Tomorrow's the day

#14 Post by DaveW »

L Austin France wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:13 pm
DaveW wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:58 pm I like the floor mounted indoor units, I think I will go for that when I replace the old units. Out of interest, why didn’t you go for a single outdoor pump to service both indoor units?
Because it was a grand more expensive & I liked the idea that I wouldn't lose everything if it packed up. A single one is no doubt more aesthetically pleasing but I wasn't too worried about looks as long as it was a good engineering job.
No real reason to think this but my existing similar Mitsubishi kitchen set up is showing no signs of problems 7 years later.
I've got a high level cassette unit in the kitchen where it looks fine & doesn't take up floor space but didn't want this, to my mind, semi industrial unit in the living rooms.
Fair enough, I went for a three split for the bedrooms when I had renovations done, which was a good opportunity to get all the pipework out of site, and they work great. I had two Toshiba pumps and indoor units installed 15 years ago, have never been touched other than filter cleaning - boy have I had my moneys worth out of them.

It’s a no-brainer with ROI (Return on Investment) on heat pumps.

Blaze

Tomorrow's the day

#15 Post by Blaze »

Some questions : I really know nothing about them.

Are they noisy ? I have heard stories of problems with neighbours complaining about noise.
Can you hear them from inside ?
How many radiators/heaters does a heat pump run ?
Are they different sizes ?

L Austin France

Tomorrow's the day

#16 Post by L Austin France »

Blaze wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:18 pm Some questions : I really know nothing about them.

Are they noisy ? I have heard stories of problems with neighbours complaining about noise.
Can you hear them from inside ?
How many radiators/heaters does a heat pump run ?
Are they different sizes ?
There are umpteen applications for heat pumps .
The main 'idiots guide' differences are ;
Basic Air-Air type pick up lots of low grade heat from the outside air, crunch it up & blow it into a room at a higher temperature to heat it. This is what I have.
Air-Water type pick up heat from outside air, crunch it up & transfer it to heat water in 'wet' systems such as radiators,underfloor heating etc.
Other systems pick up heat from deep bore holes or pipes laid in the ground & usually transfer it to 'wet' systems.
Your other questions are impossible to answer difinitively without knowing the system.
My Air-Air system has a very quiet external unit.
Hope that helps a bit but serious googling will get you better acqainted with the things.

Blaze

Tomorrow's the day

#17 Post by Blaze »

Thanks LAF !

DaveW

Tomorrow's the day

#18 Post by DaveW »

Just to add. Air to water is a bit iffy because of the difficulty in getting the heat high enough, requiring bigger rads and electric heater boosting. Seems new pump technology can up the temperature to over 70c, which will be the game changer.