Yellowed headlamps need cleaning for CT

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Oldblueraincoat

#1 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

I don't know about anybody else but we always get quite stressed leading up to the CT control for our "Betsy" - a Renault Scenic we have had for 8 years. She has previously sailed through with 'flying colours, but with a few weeks to go for the next one, my neighbour just told me that his newer, by a couple of years, Citroen failed due to yellowed headlights. Having inspected her just now l find Betsy's headlamps are a little foggy and yellowed to say the least.

First port of call was YouTube which has all sorts of tips and remedies, from WD40, toothpaste, bicarbonate of soda to professional kits available on line. So before wasting any money l was hoping that one of our members can recommend an astuce that really works - Not a new car or headlamps thanks but a practical solution 😊😊😊

ajm

#2 Post by ajm »

Ask at your Renault garage i am sure they can help.

Blaze

#3 Post by Blaze »

A.N.Other

#4 Post by A.N.Other »

It's a very common problem with modern plastic headlights so no reason at all to expect the vehicle main dealer to know the remedy any better than anyone one else.

The cure very much depends on how deep the UV has eaten into the plastic, on my old Ford Focus I had to start with 120 grade sandpaper then work up through the grades until I could finally buff with liquid rubbing compound!

niemeyjt

#5 Post by niemeyjt »

A.N.Other wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:12 pmIt's a very common problem with modern plastic headlights so no reason at all to expect the vehicle main dealer to know the remedy any better than anyone one else.

The cure very much depends on how deep the UV has eaten into the plastic, on my old Ford Focus I had to start with 120 grade sandpaper then work up through the grades until I could finally buff with liquid rubbing compound!
I suspect main dealers will point you in the direction of their parts department.

Polarengineer

#6 Post by Polarengineer »

Norauto €80 I could not find time to diy a boring job like that myself.

ajm

#7 Post by ajm »

A.N.Other wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:12 pm It's a very common problem with modern plastic headlights so no reason at all to expect the vehicle main dealer to know the remedy any better than anyone one else.

The reason I suggested contacting the Renault garage is that ours has a service to refurbish headlights.

Hotrodder

#8 Post by Hotrodder »

Polarengineer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:31 am Norauto €80 I could not find time to diy a boring job like that myself.
I'd much rather diy for half an hour than throw €80+ x2 at new ones that will take up to an hour to fit depending on make and model.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Nomoss

#9 Post by Nomoss »

Still perfect after 28 years................
IMG_3277 crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Polarengineer

#10 Post by Polarengineer »

Hotrodder wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:35 am
Polarengineer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:31 am Norauto €80 I could not find time to diy a boring job like that myself.
I'd much rather diy for half an hour than throw €80+ x2 at new ones that will take up to an hour to fit depending on make and model.
Er.. that's €80 to polish both the old lamp plastic lens. They did quite a good job.