Washing your car in this extreme heat

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Spardo

Re: Washing your car in this extreme heat

#11 Post by Spardo »

I used to wash my cars in the car wash, so efficient, but gave up because the brushes kept removing the tow ball cap and throwing it away, then washing all the grease off it. I put up with that by trying to remember to remove it myself first and then re-greasing the ball later.

But when they started to bend the bracket holding the secondary electric socket, enough was enough.

Now I wash by hand, washing up liquid in a bucket of water, starting at the top and working downwards rinsing with the hose frequently section by section. But never in sunlight and best results are in light drizzle. :D

Blaze

#12 Post by Blaze »

We go to a car wash once in a blue moon but use the pressure washer, not the automatic with the roller brushes. When it's hot we don't bother.

Spardo

#13 Post by Spardo »

Blaze wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:12 pm We go to a car wash once in a blue moon but use the pressure washer, not the automatic with the roller brushes. When it's hot we don't bother.
I have been tempted by that, but would always worry that the money would run out before the job was properly finished
About how long do they give you for wash, and then rinse?

niemeyjt

#14 Post by niemeyjt »

The ones I have seen in France and elsewhere use tokens - so you can start with a few then just add extras if required.

Spardo

#15 Post by Spardo »

niemeyjt wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:29 pm The ones I have seen in France and elsewhere use tokens - so you can start with a few then just add extras if required.
I think I did use one once, a long time ago, seem to remember I rushed the job and it didn't turn out well. :roll:

Blaze

#16 Post by Blaze »

[mention]Spardo[/mention] As [mention]niemeyjt[/mention] says, they use tokens and you have a choice of what sort of wash/dry/polish you want to do. We spend around 5-7€.
I haven't timed each cycle, but you just put in a couple of tokens, and if it stops, just bung in another, then another until you've finished. There's no rush, no pressure, you soon get used to it. The roller brushes always seem to leave fine scratch marks which you won't get with the lance. But the automatic one dries the car where as the pressure washed car dries al fresco !

DominicBest

#17 Post by DominicBest »

Spardo wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:40 pm. But never in sunlight and best results are in light drizzle. :D
My neighbours think I’m mad when I wash the car in the rain. 🙂

Spardo

#18 Post by Spardo »

I'll give the pressure wash a try the next time I need it then, be good to do it when I need it rather than waiting for a wet day.

Char
Site Admin

#19 Post by Char »

Coldonat wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:18 pm
Doug wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:35 pm At my age I don't.
I pay €5 for a wash and dry at the local car wash.
Likewise, 4€ for our runabout at our local supermarket carwash - what's not to like.
However, I do have to hand wash our MGB roadster on the very odd occasion it gets a bit dirty, and even that I find a bit of a chore. Better than driving home in the equivalent of a hip bath though.
Hi Coldonat and welcome - it's good to 'see' you. :D