Police stop/check

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Hotrodder

Police stop/check

#1 Post by Hotrodder »

A first for me in France after 22 years. Got pulled over at a roadside police checkpoint this afternoon. About 7 gendarmes at a roundabout on a not very main road in the middle of nowhere. Very civil and polite, asked for all the usual documents while a couple of his mates gave the tyres a look, etc. He asked if I had been drinking at lunch. No I replied. Then another (I think a new recruit) was told to breathalyse me. Came up completely clear. I said I never drink at lunch. Big smile and waved on my way. They even let me keep the little tube I blew into.

We had been out to have a pair of new tyres fitted. Glad they didn't stop us two hours earlier. One of the rears was very smooth indeed. :lol: :lol:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

Police stop/check

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

I got pulled by Douannes - at about 2 am - in a Luton van.

I can't see what was suspicious, but they searched and tested that the only thing in the back of the van, a battery screwdriver, was what it seemed and was not some weapon of mass destruction.

Then on my way - without a papers check as I recall.

Doubtless, some box was ticked.

Blaze

Police stop/check

#3 Post by Blaze »

I got some strange looks from Customs when my melodeon went through the x-ray machine in Jersey : it looked most peculiar and they did laugh when it came out the other end !

Mangetout

Police stop/check

#4 Post by Mangetout »

My husband got pulled over some years ago when he was driving his Corvette. Not averse to a bit of speed he thought he was going to be fined. Nothing of the sort. The boys wanted to see the engine and talk cars!

Blaze

Police stop/check

#5 Post by Blaze »

Mangetout wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:22 am My husband got pulled over some years ago when he was driving his Corvette. Not averse to a bit of speed he thought he was going to be fined. Nothing of the sort. The boys wanted to see the engine and talk cars!
OH had the same when he was riding his Ducati - they just wanted to talk about motos !

MAD87

Police stop/check

#6 Post by MAD87 »

I must look suspicious as I've lost count of the number of times I've been pulled over. In our first village, the gendarmes from the nearest town proved themselves to be 1st class woodentops and I ended up making a complaint to the préfecture. I have also been breathalysed (incorrectly) while the town drunks looked on from the bar. They were safe enough - they knew said woodentops packed up at 5.30., having done their quota.

Spectrum

Police stop/check

#7 Post by Spectrum »

Few years ago on the way down the N141 to Limoges, they had closed off the "motorway" and taken over the Aire, there was a lot of Gendarmes and Douanes, HGVs were being waved through, there was one officer with a very professional looking, over the shoulder camera taking close ups of us all, some of the vans had emptied their contents out, some was waiting, a few looked very worried, there must have been about 40/50 all armed to the teeth :shock: just checked passport and vehicle docs and sent on our way. Still no idea what they were looking for or just routine.

MAD87

Police stop/check

#8 Post by MAD87 »

The autoroute around Limoges is on the "go-fast" drugs route from Spain/Maroc.

DominicBest

Police stop/check

#9 Post by DominicBest »

I was passing a car that had been pulled over by the gendarmes on my way to a car meet in my VdC. As I approached one of the gendarmes indicated that he wanted me to stop. I got out with the bag holding my paperwork but he said, no, no, I only want to have a look at your car.
Over the years I’ve been stopped a few times in France for routine paperwork checks and was randomly breathalysed once at an autoroute exit in Tours. That was during the time we were supposed to carry breathalysers but they didn’t ask to see them.
My favourite stop was in Holland in the early hours of the morning. No intimidating male policemen there, the two officers who approached the car were young women who explained what they were doing in perfect English, asked me to blow into the machine then gave me a key-ring. One of them pointed out that if I had failed my prize would not have been so nice.
In Germany once I was pulled over by a military policeman who told me that I was speeding. I’d already been warned that they were there so pointed out that I had been driving within the limit. He looked at his speed gun which was registering mph, took a while to do some mental arithmetic and agreed I had been driving under the limit. He excused his error by pointing out that it would be easy to drive too fast in a car like mine. I pointed out that as I had to drive over 14 severe speed humps to get from the main gate to my house that wasn’t going to happen, to speed on that stretch of road I’d need something like his Land Rover.

Lori

Police stop/check

#10 Post by Lori »

Well, on a somewhat similar subject, we have this article.

It seems the Radar camera must have a well constructed intelligence as it can detect all these things.

https://astucesauquotidien.com/pratique ... tiquement/