Passing the Code de la Route test(s)

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Lori

#1 Post by Lori »

I do not have a driving license that is exchangeable. So, I am studying to take the test théroique and pratique.

I plan to take the test théroique at La Poste as a candidate libre. Has anyone done this? It seems pretty straight forward. However, there are a couple of questions I can't seem to find the answers to.

When taking the test at La Poste, you are given a tablette to complete the test. They supposedly show you how to use the tablette prior to you taking the test. So, when you ARE taking the test, are you able to skip a question and come back to it later - assuming you have time remaining ? Or, are you only given that one opportunity to answer - no going back ?

Are you able to read the questions on the test WITHOUT having to listen to the audio (able to turn down or off the audio) ? I would prefer (if possible) not to have to listen to the question - just to be able to read them and give my answer.

Would really appreciate any information on the test taking process.

Thanks !!

L Austin France

#2 Post by L Austin France »

Can't help you as I exchanged my UK licence for a French one about 15 years ago & probably wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of passing a test these days.
Here's wishing you every success brave lady. :)

Bayleaf

#3 Post by Bayleaf »

Got the tshirt and mental scars of the Code de la Route when the youngsters took it!

Q. I plan to take the test théroique at La Poste as a candidate libre. Has anyone done this? It seems pretty straight forward. However, there are a couple of questions I can't seem to find the answers to.

A. Daughter's boyfriend did it - seemed quite straight forward registering and applying (but he's French, so that helps!)[/i][/i]

Q. When taking the test at La Poste, you are given a tablette to complete the test. They supposedly show you how to use the tablette prior to you taking the test. So, when you ARE taking the test, are you able to skip a question and come back to it later - assuming you have time remaining ? Or, are you only given that one opportunity to answer - no going back ?

A. No going back*. You are given so many seconds per question - if you run out of time, nil points.

Q. Are you able to read the questions on the test WITHOUT having to listen to the audio (able to turn down or off the audio) ? I would prefer (if possible) not to have to listen to the question - just to be able to read them and give my answer.[/i]

A. Pretty sure you have to listen at the same time, as sometimes there will only be narrative to a scenario, and not full written dialogue.

Another point to look out for, is that sometimes there is more than one right answer -maybe all answers are acceptable. If you don't tick ALL the right answers, you will be docked points.

The only other advice I can give is that you do as many online mock tests as possible. When you're registered with a Driving School, they give you an app to use and (like all mock exams) the practice tests are often more difficult (and obsure!) than the actual exam.

I wish you all the luck - need to get less than 5 wrong to pass!

*I'm going to double check this - I'm now doubting myself!
Last edited by Bayleaf on Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bayleaf

#4 Post by Bayleaf »

L Austin France wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:59 pm Can't help you as I exchanged my UK licence for a French one about 15 years ago & probably wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of passing a test these days.
Here's wishing you every success brave lady. :)
Changed mine shortly before brexhit time - as have probably hundreds of thousands others! Having gone through the system twice, and son is still trying to pass the practical, I would say most of us (and actually most current road users in France) wouldn't pass La Code or the practical - it's becoming ridiculously tough - and that's what the French are saying, so it's not just us furriners!

Same ancient laws are illogical - as in "priority to the right" where there is the cross road sign beforehand, and no dotted or solid line - even when it's a single lane (possibly from an old farm track) joining a bigger road! It's nuts! :crazy:

Bayleaf

#5 Post by Bayleaf »

Daughter is going to ask her boyfriend (who took it in La Poste and got full marks - of course he would! :roll: ). Pretty sure you can't pass by a question, and can't turn audio off - you have a headset.

Blaze

#6 Post by Blaze »

Good luck, Lori.
Like LAF we exchanged our licences a while ago. Having looked at the Code tests on line "for fun", we thought they were awful, ambiguous and we'd probably both have failed if we had to take the test. It sounds a nightmare.

Lori

#7 Post by Lori »

Thanks everyone.

Thanks Bayleaf for the added info. Short of the two questions I had asked, I knew about all the other things you pointed out, but I thank you for stating them.

I've read most of the 2023 Code de la Route book already and I've taken dozens and dozens and dozens of free online tests. Also watched about 4 YouTube videos of the practical/road test. There are literally hundreds of them on YouTube and many (not all) can be very helpful.

I know you are given 20 seconds to answer each question. NOW, I know you cannot go back to previous question. I guess your explanation about not being able to turn off the audio makes sense. Yes, many questions do involve a video with voice-over. Not sure why I didn't think of that prior to asking the question as, of course, you'd need to hear the voice.

I envy you all being able to exchange your license. I hold a license from a U.S. State that is not exchangeable. It is sheer insanity to me that there are about 16 U.S. States that are allowed to be exchanged in France. Yet, nearly ALL of the USA follows the same set of driving laws. How France ever determined WHICH ones they were going to allow to be exchanged is an unknown to me.

DaveW

#8 Post by DaveW »

I exchanged my New Hampshire license many years ago and was told that the determination of which states is down to reciprocity. So, it wasn’t really France it was individual US states.

Lori

#9 Post by Lori »

DaveW wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:38 pm I exchanged my New Hampshire license many years ago and was told that the determination of which states is down to reciprocity. So, it wasn’t really France it was individual US states.
Had no idea. So, I presume that means that a French citizen, holding a French driving license can exchange their license for a U.S. license in those named States, if they relocate to them. Meaning, they don't have to pass the State Driving license test in those States? Had no idea anything like that existed in the U.S. I thought everyone had to pass a State test before acquiring a U.S. Driving License.

Bayleaf

#10 Post by Bayleaf »

Here's an hilarious, and very accurate, account of a US Citizen wanting to get a French Driving Licence.
https://www.thelocal.fr/20210217/four-y ... -foreigner