Priority to the right

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Hotrodder

Priority to the right

#41 Post by Hotrodder »

Lori wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:12 pm
RobertArthur wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:55 pm This means that vehicles wishing to enter the ring road have priority over vehicles already on it.
Had no idea !!! This is explains a lot ! And yes, I thought they were just being rude and aggressive. :o
They are known for it around here. :lol:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

RobertArthur

Priority to the right

#42 Post by RobertArthur »

As far as I know this is the only ring road in continental Europe where this priority system applies. Advice: drive on the second lane from the right as much as possible. This will prevent you from being torpedoed by merging Parisians. On the other hand, in theory, you have less stress yourself when merging on this Paris ring road. Because everyone else has to make way for you when you want to escape from "Parisia intra-muros" it might be easy, with a bit of luck and some bravado, to join the the endless stream of cars on the périphérique. Be careful, don't trust foreign license plates....As an additional reminder, a decree dated 3 January 2014 reduced the speed limit on the Paris ring road from 80 to 70 kph.

niemeyjt

Priority to the right

#43 Post by niemeyjt »

Well, in the era of 80kph limits, I had the fun of going around BP - not only in a RHD Land Rover - but with a loaded 4M, 3.5t trailer on the back. Interesting.

As above, one lane in is the best approach I found.

Quiksilver

Priority to the right

#44 Post by Quiksilver »

DominicBest wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:40 pm
It’s also worth pointing out that out of built up areas main roads, whether they’re N roads, D roads or even lower classifications, will not have PaD and once again the road signs will be crystal clear.
That's not strictly true. Until a few months ago, the chemin we use to exit onto a fairly main D road did have priority. At the bottom of a hill and on a bend, too! I never felt happy about exercising my right :D Thankfully, we've now got a 'STOP'.

Blaze

Priority to the right

#45 Post by Blaze »

There was a side road near us that joined a D road between 2 villages, and which had priority and it was only after an accident involving a pompiers fire engine that a stop sign was put in place. It's a bad junction, near a bend with limited visibility, and people on the D road often don't slow down despite the warning sign.

RobertArthur

Priority to the right

#46 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Lori, never drive in Paris, always busy. Walking, bistros, museums (or a combination in le Petit Palais, beautiful tile flooring,) benches in the park or a seat in the MeTroPoliTain (click to enlarge) where you also must obey some special rules.

Lori

Priority to the right

#47 Post by Lori »

RobertArthur wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:28 pm -what-is-the-priority-order-for-a-seat-in-public-transportation] special rules.[/url]
Good Lord ! Just when you thought you'd heard it all.

Lori

Priority to the right

#48 Post by Lori »

Quiksilver wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:06 pm DominicBest wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:40 pm

It’s also worth pointing out that out of built up areas main roads, whether they’re N roads, D roads or even lower classifications, will not have PaD and once again the road signs will be crystal clear.
There are plenty of PAD around here off of D roads outside of towns, in what seems like the middle of nowhere. Most have a sign announcing them, but not all, which can be frustrating.

A.N.Other

Priority to the right

#49 Post by A.N.Other »

Equally frustrating and confusing is that some PaD's are observed - or ignored - according to local habit and custom.

When I lived in France the exit from my lane onto a more major road was PaD but in 11 years the one and only vehicle which ever gave way to me was a Dutch registered motorhome. I could have died virtually every day if I'd chosen to exercise my right of way!

Blaze

Priority to the right

#50 Post by Blaze »

A.N.Other wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:09 am Equally frustrating and confusing is that some PaD's are observed - or ignored - according to local habit and custom.
Self preservation has to be the order of the day. Hesitating drivers can be annoying, but sometimes it's not worth the risk of exercising one's right of way ...