Tyre repair

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
hughnique

Tyre repair

#1 Post by hughnique »

I have a problem with a nail or screw stuck in the tread of a tyre, so need to get a repair done as it deflates over a couple of days. Before I go to the local repairer is it still in order to repair tyres like this. Usually, from recollection, they remove the offending screw and put some sort of plug in the tyre, I ask because once before I had a slow leak and the garage said the wheel was deformed, but they were unable to put an inner tube in the wheel, not allowed. I don't want to get tucked up with the old, "we cant do that you need a new tyre, and we must fit another one on the other side as well"

Bayleaf

Tyre repair

#2 Post by Bayleaf »

Sorry to say it, but that's probably the way it will go. My daughter had a spate of nails in a tyre - she was beginning to think sabotage! Each time, new tyre needed -oh, and of course we have to replace both, as suddenly they can't match the opposite tyre with one. She's collecting perfectly good "spare" tyres now! :roll:

hughnique

Tyre repair

#3 Post by hughnique »

I might have known, bloody rip off again

L Austin France

Tyre repair

#4 Post by L Austin France »

Our local garage 'plugged' a nail hole a couple of years ago with no questions.
I took the wheel & tyre in to them & collected it the next day.
Maybe best not to take it to a tyre sales only place.
Been fine so far :)

hughnique

Tyre repair

#5 Post by hughnique »

I am wondering if that is a way around any legislation, if I take just the wheel and tyre in there and refit it myself, then the garage are not fitting it back on the car?

hughnique

Tyre repair

#6 Post by hughnique »

Evidently it appears that a repair is possible as it is nowhere near the sidewall.

niemeyjt

Tyre repair

#7 Post by niemeyjt »

It is proximity to sidewall that is normally the issue - and as you say a plug is one fix that can be done with the tyre on the rim.

I have also had fixes where a kind of patch is applied on the inside of the tyre - but obviously that requires more work for the tyre company.

Hotrodder

Tyre repair

#8 Post by Hotrodder »

It appears that any repair of anything is a real money spinner. Dust off your credit cards folks.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

L Austin France

Tyre repair

#9 Post by L Austin France »

Hotrodder wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:08 am It appears that any repair of anything is a real money spinner. Dust off your credit cards folks.
Cost me just a few euros to get my tyre 'plugged'.
Can't remember exactly how much but certainly less than 20. :)

DominicBest

Tyre repair

#10 Post by DominicBest »

Fitting a plug to repair a small puncture in a tubeless tyre is a very straightforward DIY job these days. I carry a kit to do just that. Mine came from Amazon. YouTube has a lot of advice on the subject including about when it’s viable and when it’s not. The thing you must not do if you want a tyre shop to repair the tyre is to use a repair goo, either from a spray can or via an attachment to the tyre pump that came with your car.
Last edited by DominicBest on Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.