Has anyone passed a CT with headlamp convertors?

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Antonia

#1 Post by Antonia »

My old Kangoo was originally imported into the UK using a single vehicle approval. In order to have her registered we had to have all the lamps replaced. When we later moved to France we got a garage to put the original units back in before getting her re-registered. She's recently failed her CT ( blown bulb ) and I was wondering, should something more serious happen, would I be able to use the RHD units that I've still got with some headlamp convertors and would she be able to pass her next CT?

niemeyjt

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

I have done it the other way - beam benders on an LHD for UK MoT - but not every year.

But to answer your question - if anything happens I would recommend a visit to a scrap yard for a second-hand unit. The quality of light output will be better and not dazzle oncoming vehicles. I would put safety at the top of the list.

Antonia

#3 Post by Antonia »

niemeyjt wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:30 pm But to answer your question - if anything happens I would recommend a visit to a scrap yard for a second-hand unit. The quality of light output will be better and not dazzle oncoming vehicles. I would put safety at the top of the list.
Under normal circumstances I would agree completely however the kangoo is getting on now and is only kept for the odd trip to the déchetterie and transporting large garden equipment. She's hardly ever driven in the rain and never driven at night. Hopefully the question will never come up. I was just trying to reuse some of the spare parts I already have.

Wilbro

#4 Post by Wilbro »

Well a friend of ours had headlamp converters on his old UK registered Peugeot and it passed several CTs. That was a year or so ago and the tester has now retired. The car was a wreck and I always wondered how it passed anyway but I suspect the old boy was a bit lax and let things go. His replacement is stricter and there are more checks now but you could chance it. If it passes fine, if not plan B.

hughnique

#5 Post by hughnique »

There is a Facebook site "Vehicle registrations and Law in France", this subject crops up occasionally, and it seems to be somewhat dependent on the tester at the testing station, some pass, some don't, seems to be a lottery

Antonia

#6 Post by Antonia »

Thank you all. I suspect, because she is LHD, I'm less likely to get a 'sympathetic' response from the tester. I reckon the 'spare parts' are destined to remain in the garage. :D

DominicBest

#7 Post by DominicBest »

The CT regs do allow for stickers. If you ever need to try take a copy of the relevant paragraph with you. It says some thing like, nothing may be stuck on the headlights except for beam deflectors.