Is Paris saying ‘non’ to US-style supersized cars?

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
niemeyjt

#11 Post by niemeyjt »

Nomoss wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:48 pmAny 4 wheeled vehicle under 3500 kg with seats for the driver plus less than 8 passengers can be driven on a B permis.
Exactly - so those weighing over 3500Kg cannot be driven on a B permit.

beejay

#12 Post by beejay »

niemeyjt wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:25 pm
Nomoss wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:48 pmAny 4 wheeled vehicle under 3500 kg with seats for the driver plus less than 8 passengers can be driven on a B permis.
Exactly - so those weighing over 3500Kg cannot be driven on a B permit.
What do you have in mind? Vehicles called SUVs that exceed 3500kg are rare because of the licence restriction.

Edit:
The BMW XM seems to be the heaviest SUV with an unladen weight of 2710 kg and a GVW of 3300 kg. Fully loaded with 5 passengers and luggage could exceed theGVW.

niemeyjt

#13 Post by niemeyjt »

beejay wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:59 pmWhat do you have in mind? Vehicles called SUVs that exceed 3500kg are rare because of the licence restriction.
Exactly what I am saying - the B permit is a restriction - you don't see the F250s and above in Europe, for example - remember it is the GVW that matters not the ULW.

I think Tesla's Cybertruck will also fall foul of this. Only us oldies with a C1 will be able to drive it.

DominicBest

#14 Post by DominicBest »

‘Porsche owners today don't necessarily need to show off.’

Did Porsche owners ever need to show off? In Germany insurance premiums are calculated in two separate parts, as third party risks and other risks, and for an all risks, fully comprehensive policy and the premium is the sum of the two parts. The standard third party part for Porsche drivers is very low, the stats show that the vast majority of Porsche owners are experienced drivers with a far better than average driving history and are unlikely to be the cause of a claim from a third party. Sober, competent and boring, quite the opposite of the average show off.

Hotrodder

#15 Post by Hotrodder »

With long experience of living in the land of the redneck chariot I look back wondering what is/was the attraction? Even more so those who buy one and then spend more money on some sort of addition that puts a top on it. Without that anything you carry in the back is easily stolen, and gets soaked when it rains. :lol: I can't remember the last time I've seen a pickup this side of the Atlantic with anything being carried in the back.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

#16 Post by niemeyjt »

The ones I see, and there are some, have a fifth wheel - they are good for that.

Polarengineer

#17 Post by Polarengineer »

Parked next to a Dodge Ram in the Leclerc car park. Just could not grasp a reason why anyone should need such a monster. As the article author said, owned by a mr tinydick. I am still racking my brain as to what farming purpose this wagon could be put to that a decent tractor would not do better.

RobertArthur

#18 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Blaze: about that pick-up. I gave it a try with photoshop, replace that vehicle with a picture of a big SUV. The steep relearning curve was too much to climb... Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused. From the depths of my hard disk a picture of a good mini and a bad SUV. The ugly is missing, already many examples on the road with all those modern streamlined designs. It's getting time to play with open cards, why do I have mixed feelings when spotting these modern cars with huge center consoles? Quite simple, being almost two meters high, long legs, me and my shadow. Please, let me out.....

@ PE: for several construction workers the Dodge Ram is la voiture (fun) par exellence because of its towing capacity, huge trailers.

niemeyjt

#19 Post by niemeyjt »

But European trailers are restricted to 3500Kgs gross on over-run brakes and there are lots of SUVs capable of that. To go higher you need powered brakes of some sort - more expense both for the SUV and the trailer.

beejay

#20 Post by beejay »

niemeyjt wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:13 pm
beejay wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:59 pmWhat do you have in mind? Vehicles called SUVs that exceed 3500kg are rare because of the licence restriction.
Exactly what I am saying - the B permit is a restriction - you don't see the F250s and above in Europe, for example - remember it is the GVW that matters not the ULW.

I think Tesla's Cybertruck will also fall foul of this. Only us oldies with a C1 will be able to drive it.
They are trucks and a very small number in comparison to SUVs which usually refers to car like bodies none of which has a GVW reaching 3500 kg.

And there are a few oldies with C entitlement. ;)