No more Green Cards after April

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Nomoss

#1 Post by Nomoss »

I have just seen that the Green Card for car insurance will be eliminated next April, saving 1,200 tons of CO2 per year.

https://www.economie.gouv.fr/assurance- ... -20231219-[https://www.economie.gouv.fr/assurance- ... avril-2024]

The insurance companies "welcome" this change, but does that mean they will no longer automatically insure cars for driving outside France, and load the premiums of those who do? I bet they'd love to.....

I think at least I'll have to pay for the extra paperwork to get the document.

ajm

#2 Post by ajm »

I think it is only the little green sticker on your windscreen that will vanish. Insurance can be checked by the gendarmes using a database.

hughnique

#3 Post by hughnique »

I have just chased mine up for renewal in Jan, gone up 70€ a year on the CMax, never ending.

Spectrum

#4 Post by Spectrum »

The title is mis-leading "Green cards" where needed for travel outside of the UK for your car insurance, the "Green" window stickers are to show that you carry insurance on the vehicle, easily seen by all, these are the ones that are been faded out, as France tries to catch up with the UK in having more "ANPR" cameras.

DominicBest

#5 Post by DominicBest »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:08 pm The title is mis-leading "Green cards" where needed for travel outside of the UK for your car insurance, the "Green" window stickers are to show that you carry insurance on the vehicle, easily seen by all, these are the ones that are been faded out, as France tries to catch up with the UK in having more "ANPR" cameras.
I’ve had green cards for every vehicle I’ve insured since 1986. That’s in France and Germany. The Green card is not a U.K. thing.

p4psb

#6 Post by p4psb »

Title should read - No more Green Windscreen Vignettes after April.

That is what the little square piece of green paper you put in your windscreen is called.

niemeyjt

#7 Post by niemeyjt »

Like they did away with the tax disk in the windows of UK vehicles - to save money. They then snuck in another little rule change to double tax a vehicle for any month in which it was bought and sold.

Nomoss

#8 Post by Nomoss »

p4psb wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:15 pm Title should read - No more Green Windscreen Vignettes after April.

That is what the little square piece of green paper you put in your windscreen is called.
That's not what the government announcement in my link says......................

La preuve de l’assurance était jusqu’à présent fournie par la présentation de la « carte verte ». Ce document papier, renouvelé et envoyé tous les ans par les assureurs, comprend une attestation d’assurance ainsi qu’un certificat (le « papillon vert ») apposé sur le pare-brise du véhicule.

In case you are unaware, " ainsi que" means "as well as"

Spectrum

#9 Post by Spectrum »

DominicBest wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:22 pm
Spectrum wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:08 pm The title is mis-leading "Green cards" where needed for travel outside of the UK for your car insurance, the "Green" window stickers are to show that you carry insurance on the vehicle, easily seen by all, these are the ones that are been faded out, as France tries to catch up with the UK in having more "ANPR" cameras.
I’ve had green cards for every vehicle I’ve insured since 1986. That’s in France and Germany. The Green card is not a U.K. thing.
Don't think I said that it was inclusive to the UK, I was referring to the ANPR cameras.

DominicBest

#10 Post by DominicBest »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:15 am The title is mis-leading "Green cards" where needed for travel outside of the UK for your car insurance,
I was commenting on this bit.