No more Green Cards after April

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Hotrodder

#21 Post by Hotrodder »

I received my little green card (vignette?) last week. It is valid from the 6th of April. I guess I don't have to display it then. :crazy:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

beejay

#22 Post by beejay »

elsie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:14 pm As 1 April is not long now, this topic has started to reappear in the press.

Regarding travel abroad, this page (in French) gives a good explanation https://particuliers.sg.fr/nos-conseils ... e-etranger and indicated you will be covered for Austria, Andorra, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bosnia Herzegovina, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, Finland, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Croatia, Italy, Ireland, Iceland, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, Montenegro, Norway, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Sweden, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Serbia.
I think Gibraltar, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Saint-Marino and the Vatican are also included?

They are all signatories of the GCFCA (Green Card Free Circulation Area). Drivers do not need to have 'green cards' confirming cover for those countries but still need to carry the insurance certificate for their vehicles when travelling to these countries.

List of all countries on this website https://tinyurl.com/35x2c25w

elsie

#23 Post by elsie »

@beejay did you read the last part of the SG Assurance link I quoted? That seems to exclude some countries in the section Vous partez hors de l’Espace économique européen ? whereas my insurance company includes them.
So I concluded it is best to check your individual policy to see whether all the countries you might visit are definitely included and any additional conditions.

Bayleaf

#24 Post by Bayleaf »

The way I've understood it is that you don't have to put the little vignette in the windscreen, but the rest of the assurance document would still be in the car with you, with the CG etc.

If a camera or gendarme clocks you, just by taking the number plate they'll know if the vehicle is insured or not, as it's already logged into a central system. They're really trying to clamp own on uninsured cars - it's a big problem.

Seems a lot of fuss going on over the removal of a tiny bit of green paper - maybe the green insurance document that it came with will become smaller, a paper-saving device if you will, as a back-up.

:?:

ajm

#25 Post by ajm »

Just got our green cards and vignettes as usual.