I filled the car up

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Wilbro

Re: I filled the car up

#11 Post by Wilbro »

Yes, you get some mobile shed in front of you, brake lights at eye level, and foot on brakes dazzllng you.

hughnique

#12 Post by hughnique »

By the time you get your vision back the lights have gone to red again, absolute numpties.

MAD87

#13 Post by MAD87 »

I've filled up with 95 (or whatever E number it is now) 1.5 times in the last year, so no idea what the current cost is. Interestingly, some bloke on the TV news last night said he'd economise by using his bke more. What? A Frenchman economising rather than demonstrating?

niemeyjt

#14 Post by niemeyjt »

MAD87 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:35 am I've filled up with 95 (or whatever E number it is now) 1.5 times in the last year, so no idea what the current cost is. Interestingly, some bloke on the TV news last night said he'd economise by using his bke more. What? A Frenchman economising rather than demonstrating?
Is that because OH normally does it - or because you drive so little?

If the latter, with modern fuels you might be advised to put in some fuel stabiliser as the shelf life isn't what it used to be.

Spectrum

#15 Post by Spectrum »

hughnique wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:32 am Yes you have to get it and bite the bullet otherwise splash out on an electric scooter, some drivers are obsessed by it I remember in my youth, yes they did have cars then, several people diligently writing down the mileage and how much they had tanked up with in a little book they kept in the car. Just as an aside it does gripe me when stopping at traffic lights etc. the amount of modern cars that do not have a handbrake??
Opps I had one of those books :oops: kept all cost in it etc Iam :oops: to say this but a have one now for the new car, sorry, I can blame my dad he was a charted accountant, right up to his last breath he kept a ledger of everything and anything he had spent, I was crap at maths :lol:

Veem

#16 Post by Veem »

I don't write anything in a book or keep tabs on average consumption. Nor do I drive about to get the best price as our fuel stations are quite a distance from each other and going to anywhere other than the closest supermarket station wouldn't be financially viable. Normally I don't even check to see what the price is. We don't really have a choice - if the car is low on fuel, I fill it up, pay by card and that's it until the next time.

I seem to remember diesel costing just over a euro when we first came to France (2004) so to catch sight of 1.419 on the pump was quite a surprise.

MAD87

#17 Post by MAD87 »

niemeyjt wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:40 am
MAD87 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:35 am I've filled up with 95 (or whatever E number it is now) 1.5 times in the last year, so no idea what the current cost is. Interestingly, some bloke on the TV news last night said he'd economise by using his bke more. What? A Frenchman economising rather than demonstrating?
Is that because OH normally does it - or because you drive so little?

If the latter, with modern fuels you might be advised to put in some fuel stabiliser as the shelf life isn't what it used to be.
OH doesn't drive at all. I tend to do the filling as he once put diesel in a petrol car.
It's because we now live in the middle of a village with everything on hand, mostly within 100 metres. Where do I get fuel stabiliser?

niemeyjt

#18 Post by niemeyjt »

Most chains sell it - e.g. https://www.feuvert.fr/additifs-carbura ... 04960.html

Sta-bil has a good reputation if you can find it.

MAD87

#19 Post by MAD87 »

Fangs!

Hotrodder

#20 Post by Hotrodder »

hughnique wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:32 am Yes you have to get it and bite the bullet otherwise splash out on an electric scooter, some drivers are obsessed by it I remember in my youth, yes they did have cars then, several people diligently writing down the mileage and how much they had tanked up with in a little book they kept in the car. Just as an aside it does gripe me when stopping at traffic lights etc. the amount of modern cars that do not have a handbrake??
Or turn indicators!
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.