OT driving through Germany i April

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
exile

#1 Post by exile »

Slightly outside the heading for the section.
Should anyone be planning a drive through Germany (J?). From 15.4 til 21.4 the police are planning a Blitzmarathon. Basically an intense period of speed control.

RobertArthur

#2 Post by RobertArthur »

Not only in Germany, also in France and other EU member states. The German press (Merkur.de) reports this:

" The 2024 speed camera marathon has been announced. There is a threat of hefty fines and points in Flensburg. The highlight is on 19 April.

Every year, not only does Father Christmas return, but also the speed camera marathon. Mobile speed cameras are then set up all over Germany. However, the police do not hand out presents; instead, the speeders caught receive fines and points in Flensburg. Another speed camera marathon is scheduled for 2024.

As AutoBild reports, the campaign week will take place from 15 to 21 April this year. The police will also be hunting down speeders in other EU countries as part of "Roadpol Operation Speed". In Germany, the highlight is on Friday 19 April. This is when the actual speed camera marathon takes place, during which speed checks are carried out from early morning until late at night. "

DominicBest

#3 Post by DominicBest »

RobertArthur wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:05 pm However, the police do not hand out presents; instead, the speeders caught receive fines and points
Years ago I was stopped at a police checkpoint in Holland at about two in the morning, six kilometres from my home at the end of a 900km journey. Two young female police officers came to the car, explained what they were doing and asked me to blow into the bag. I did with the expected nill reading. The police officers smiled, congratulated me and gave me a present, a key ring saying that I had passed. One of them added, if you had failed your present would not have been so nice.

A.N.Other

#4 Post by A.N.Other »

I don't think "other EU member states" includes Spain, if it does I've not heard of it.

Both fixed and mobile cameras are relatively rare in my area of the Costa Blanca and the few on the motorways are generally on gantries with notices writ large telling drivers what they are and the speed limit so they catch only the totally inattentive.

RobertArthur

#5 Post by RobertArthur »

Estimado señor A.N. Other, tengo la impresión, por los informes del Ministerio del Interior en Madrid, de que esta acción prevista se extiende también a las altas montañas de los Pirineos. Este es el calendario de las demás celebraciones. Por cierto, no para los que se saltan el límite de velocidad y son pillados haciéndolo, eso se sobreentiende.