Camping Cars

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Bayleaf

Camping Cars

#1 Post by Bayleaf »

My sister-in-law and her husband are hoping to come and stay with us, while travelling around France, in their camper van. We're already thinking they may have to book themselves in to the campsite at the end of the road, as we have nowhere level or flat! Also, what happens to the chemical toilet contents?

Total ignoramus when it comes to camping and camping vans - can anyone enlighten me?! :crazy:

Blaze

Camping Cars

#2 Post by Blaze »

The campsite is bound to have a poo tank where they can empty and rinse their cassette. If not, the campsite manager will know where to find one.

Bayleaf

Camping Cars

#3 Post by Bayleaf »

Thanks, I think that might be the best solution. It's not advised to have the contents put into our fosse, as it usually includes lots of chemicals...

L Austin France

Camping Cars

#4 Post by L Austin France »

Bayleaf wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:59 pm Thanks, I think that might be the best solution. It's not advised to have the contents put into our fosse, as it usually includes lots of chemicals...
I'm sure you can get 'stuff' to put in a chemical toilet which is fosse friendly.

Blaze

Camping Cars

#5 Post by Blaze »

Yes, LAF, you can. The make "Thetford" says its products can be put in a septic tank.

But if they're going to stay in a campsite, let them do it there. Putting it bluntly, some people's camping loos can be really foul smelling, depending on what they "do" in their pot and how much cleaning fluids they use. We've come across them at campsites when emptying our own .... not pleasant !!
Our rule is "no poo" so we never have a problem.

Quiksilver

Camping Cars

#6 Post by Quiksilver »

Good Lord Blaze, I know you're a decent sort of person, but don't you ever, errrrr, evacuate your noxious solid substances as it were? :shock: Chapeau :lol:

Blaze

Camping Cars

#7 Post by Blaze »

@Quiksilver :lol: :lol: :lol:
Campsite loos are pretty good these days, we very rarely come across a squat-and-run ! We have a caravan so go out and about in the car - and before you ask, no, we don't have a portapotty in the car :lol:
Last edited by Blaze on Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quiksilver

Camping Cars

#8 Post by Quiksilver »

:lol:

Hotrodder

Camping Cars

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

Our small commune has a space for overnight camping cars and provide facilities for emptying the loo holding tanks. I believe others do as well. No need for a costly stay in a campsite.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

DominicBest

Camping Cars

#10 Post by DominicBest »

Dont worry about their loo, as people have pointed out the products they use these days are more perfumes than nasty chemicals and most are bio. If they need to empty it they will have a little book or website that will tell them where they can empty it nearby. They will also know of any parking areas or even aires where they can sleep if your place is not suitable. France is very camping car friendly and the information they need to know is easy to find.