That was too easy!

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Hotrodder

That was too easy!

#11 Post by Hotrodder »

I suppose you are right. The trailer was purchased secondhand from an expat who used it for a short time. A single axle Lider model with the optional ladder support. The price seemed a but stiff at €450 but as it was galvanised and in mint condition I snapped it up. I have worked it hard but tried to be careful with it. Sadly it has never been kept out of the weather and by early last year the floor was starting to rot away at the edges so I replaced it. Good to go another 10+ years. If anyone is in the same position needing to replace a floor I can highly recommend using the "composition" plastic decking boards sold at the Brico sheds. Fastened down with stainless csk head screws and locknuts. Much stronger than the original resin-coated plywood although a bit heavier.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

beejay

That was too easy!

#12 Post by beejay »

L Austin France wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:42 pm
beejay wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:17 pm Tyres, 25 years old, that stood unused most of the time. :?
What's your point? All tyres stand unused most of the time.
Tyres deteriorate with age and lose flexibilty. Most car tyres wear out before reaching a critical age whereas trailer tyres stand unused for much longer. A tyre 25 years old is looking for trouble - imv. Tyres on vehicles exceeding 3500kg GVW cannot be older than ten years.

Never use lubrication on wheel lug threads or faces as it alters the torque required - clean and dry only.

Breaker bars can easily generate enough torque to break bolts.

L Austin France

That was too easy!

#13 Post by L Austin France »

beejay wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:55 pm
L Austin France wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:42 pm
beejay wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:17 pm Tyres, 25 years old, that stood unused most of the time. :?
What's your point? All tyres stand unused most of the time.
Tyres deteriorate with age and lose flexibilty. Most car tyres wear out before reaching a critical age whereas trailer tyres stand unused for much longer. A tyre 25 years old is looking for trouble - imv. Tyres on vehicles exceeding 3500kg GVW cannot be older than ten years.

Never use lubrication on wheel lug threads or faces as it alters the torque required - clean and dry only.

Breaker bars can easily generate enough torque to break bolts.
Thank you for that tretise on tyre & wheel care all of which is pretty obvious.
My only point was to question why you mentioned tyres "that stood unused most of the time." when they all surely do.