That was too easy!

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
L Austin France

That was too easy!

#1 Post by L Austin France »

I was getting fed up reinflating a tyre on my ,at least, 25 yo 750Kg trailer every time I wanted to use it & decided it really needed some new boots.
The thing's had a hard life having spent years in the garden since we moved here so I fully anticipated a struggle to get the wheel nuts off as they'd never been touched since new.
This morning I sprayed 'em with some rust easy stuff & hoped for the best.
After lunch I upended the trailer, loosened the nuts with an extention bar & socket when much to my amazement they wazzed off using just my fingers. :D
Off to our local garage tomorrow to see what it'll cost for them to fit some new'uns.
25 years use from a couple of tyres 'aint to shabby :lol:

RobertArthur

That was too easy!

#2 Post by RobertArthur »

@ LAF, if I may ask, next time a torgue wrench to tighten the wheel nuts?

L Austin France

That was too easy!

#3 Post by L Austin France »

RobertArthur wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:24 pm @ LAF, if I may ask, next time a torgue wrench to tighten the wheel nuts?
You may ask but I doubt it'll happen :lol: :lol:

Hotrodder

That was too easy!

#4 Post by Hotrodder »

Tightening has never been a problem for me. I usually cheat and just use a long breaker bar. A full two feet long for doing the Transit ones. Getting them off was always a challenge until I started smearing a tiny dab of Copaslip on the tip of the bolt (or) nut when fitting. Even using a long bar has become a back-acheing problem recently so I bought one of these.
https://www.clarketooling.co.uk/product ... ench-230v/
It is a bit heavy but it has been a real treasure. I wish I had stumped up the cash years ago. Lots of knuckle skin would have been saved. I have seen some affordable battery ones on Aliexpress that are about half the weight and compact enough to carry in the car.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

RobertArthur

That was too easy!

#5 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Hotrodder, for more than forty years my loyal companion, a Gedore torque wrench. It was a special offer I couldn't resist and don't regret.

About the AliExpress Avenue: the road to the Parkside boys is closer to home, with a predictable quality and service. They've got a standard green impact wrench and 20 V/ 4 amp battery + charger for about 70 euros. Two years ago they introduced a new black one in their professional series, brushless, very compact, less weight and twice the price. The first generation of these had minor electronic bugs, now ironed out.

L Austin France

That was too easy!

#6 Post by L Austin France »

Just back from our local garage where I went to get a price for fitting two tires with new valves.
He tapped away on his pc & told me 154€ the pair. After a sharp intake of breath & a "combien?" on my part he reduced it to 140€ which was about what I was expecting.
Ready at end of week. Pays to support your local businesses as long you let them know you're not one of Les Stupide Anglaise.

Hotrodder

That was too easy!

#7 Post by Hotrodder »

When I was migrating from 22 to 17 with a trailer load of stuff I decided to carry a spare wheel & tyre for the trailer, just in case. It cost just €58 from Emeraude Espace. (about ten years ago.) Never been fitted or needed so far.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

beejay

That was too easy!

#8 Post by beejay »

Torque about how the other half motors! :cry:

Tyres, 25 years old, that stood unused most of the time. :?

Breaker bars and grease on wheel lug threads. :crazy:

L Austin France

That was too easy!

#9 Post by L Austin France »

beejay wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:17 pm Tyres, 25 years old, that stood unused most of the time. :?
What's your point? All tyres stand unused most of the time.

Trelawney

That was too easy!

#10 Post by Trelawney »

Hotrodder wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:28 pm When I was migrating from 22 to 17 with a trailer load of stuff I decided to carry a spare wheel & tyre for the trailer, just in case. It cost just €58 from Emeraude Espace. (about ten years ago.) Never been fitted or needed so far.
Money well spent. It has done its job well and given you peace of mind for ten years.