New rules for motos?

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
curtis

New rules for motos?

#11 Post by curtis »

DominicBest wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:36 pm
curtis wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:19 pm I don't know what the rulings will be with regard to modifications. From a car point of view I was concerned about a car that I was about to buy. So I went to the preferred local CT station and showed the chap photos. It was a Fiat Abarth 850TC based on the Fiat 600 from 1966. Different body panels changed suspension, discs all round, radiator at the front and a completely different engine. Wheels and tyres larger. His comment was that it looked great and he was looking forward to seeing it. He wasn't interested if it had been changed. For him, he needed to see that what was there functioned correctly. After that it was between me and the Insurance company. The car was on a CGN.
So it passed its CT with no problems?
Yes, I bought it with a year's CT and after two years it passed with no comments and subsequently. I have it insured with Allianz through a broker in the south of France who has a policy for Alpines, Gordinis, Abarth and the like with cover for certain sporting activities. I use it for Montées Historiques (hillclimbs) et pour frimer en ville :D

DominicBest

New rules for motos?

#12 Post by DominicBest »

manonthemoon2 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:17 pm Does a vintage bike need a carte grise?

OH went to a company who were supposed to get this, but they did say we didn't need one as it's such an old bike.

The Insurance won't re-insure it without one. OH only has it insured for the roads in the summer, hence re insuring now.

The process has been delayed because customs got involved after Brexit, they want a document to say how much it cost and how much VAT was paid, it was a private purchase back in 2002 ish, when purchased in UK
Every bike used on the road needs a Carte Grise. For a vintage bike it would be better to apply for a VdC Carte Grise as that would be a more straightforward path to follow. It should not be used on the road until legal.

DominicBest

New rules for motos?

#13 Post by DominicBest »

curtis wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:37 pm
DominicBest wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:36 pm
curtis wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:19 pm I don't know what the rulings will be with regard to modifications. From a car point of view I was concerned about a car that I was about to buy. So I went to the preferred local CT station and showed the chap photos. It was a Fiat Abarth 850TC based on the Fiat 600 from 1966. Different body panels changed suspension, discs all round, radiator at the front and a completely different engine. Wheels and tyres larger. His comment was that it looked great and he was looking forward to seeing it. He wasn't interested if it had been changed. For him, he needed to see that what was there functioned correctly. After that it was between me and the Insurance company. The car was on a CGN.
So it passed its CT with no problems?
Yes, I bought it with a year's CT and after two years it passed with no comments and subsequently. I have it insured with Allianz through a broker in the south of France who has a policy for Alpines, Gordinis, Abarth and the like with cover for certain sporting activities. I use it for Montées Historiques (hillclimbs) et pour frimer en ville :D
That’s interesting. It must have been because it already had a Carte Grise. Anyone trying to register a highly modified car these days would have to go through the hassle and expense of DREAL and there is no guarantee that it would be accepted. With modern vehicles it’s more complicated. Emissions tests are very precise and any motorcyclist who has customised their bike by changing the exhaust or ignition system would more than likely fail to comply. I’ve heard of several cases where people with VW vans and camper vans have failed their CT because the alloy wheels and low profile tyres fitted to them do not comply with the original specification. Germany was easier as most tuning or custom parts were individually TüV tested before sale and vehicles fitted with TüV approved aftermarket parts were fine.

Blaze

New rules for motos?

#14 Post by Blaze »

OH has just contacted our local CT centre to ask about MOTs for motos and was told ..... wait for it ...... there's a queue for the test centres to get onto the courses to learn how to test bikes :lol:

Might be worth having a chat with the gendarmerie to see what they have to say about it !!

Service Public have just published something about it today :
https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... re%202023.