License expiry

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Hotrodder

License expiry

#1 Post by Hotrodder »

I was reading today about someone else's difficulties getting a French license renewal/exchange. Not allowed to say here where I read it, let's say just social media.
There was so much conflicting info being offered I got a little worried. Had a look at my French license to see what the expiration date is. The information in it is so faint even with my trusty Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass I can't find it. It was given in exchange for my UK one in the heady pre-Brexit days of 2013. It is pink paper with my mug shot inside. Anyone know what the score is on how long it will last? I'm well on the wrong side of 70. :?
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

elsie

License expiry

#2 Post by elsie »

There is no expiry on the pink paper licence but they are valid until 19 January 2033
https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... its/F31674

Hotrodder

License expiry

#3 Post by Hotrodder »

That's another gold star for elsie! Many thanks. I was thinking I was about to have another bureaucratic nightmare.
Only the tax declaration now to cope with.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

L Austin France

License expiry

#4 Post by L Austin France »

Being the proud owner of a pink paper French permit I was going to post the same as elsie.
I'm in the 'same boat' as you & I'm not losing any sleep when it's another 10 years before my permit needs changing. :lol:

A.N.Other

License expiry

#5 Post by A.N.Other »

Way back in 2012 I was suggesting people exchange their UK licences before the plastic jobbies (finally) came in in Jan 2013, those who heeded my advice are now happily holding 'for life' paper licences :D

Unfortunately Spain does not permit unlimited duration licences so reluctantly I had to turn mine in after the first year and now at age 70+ have to renew every 2 years :(

2033 is when France are supposed to have completed a transfer to all photocard licences but I'll lay my bet now that they will miss that, the unknown being by how many years!

Remember they were first introduced by the EU in 1998 and adopted by UK more or less immediately, it took France 23 years to catch up and then largely because of pressure from the EU, even then it was delayed at the last minute with arguments about biometric data and duration.

L Austin France

License expiry

#6 Post by L Austin France »

A.N.Other wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:37 pm Way back in 2012 I was suggesting people exchange their UK licences before the plastic jobbies (finally) came in in Jan 2013, those who heeded my advice are now happily holding 'for life' paper licences :D
My wife & I both changed our UK licences for French pink paper ones almost 20 years ago but for some reason she didn't keep her towing permit.
A couple of years ago she decided she'd like a horse box , took the 'add on' towing course ,& had to accept the new plastic credit card permit when her details were changed.

Hotrodder

License expiry

#7 Post by Hotrodder »

A friend of mine is currently battling to get his UK license exchanged. He has lived here for ages and I don't understand why he waited until the last minute to do the swap. Now it has hit some sort of snag and at this late stage he can't get it sorted at the Prefecture because all of this is now dealt with through ANTS website. And there is no plan B. His mrs. can drive but hasn't done so here so might well be at a disadvantage.
Last edited by Hotrodder on Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

DominicBest

License expiry

#8 Post by DominicBest »

A.N.Other wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:37 pm Way back in 2012 I was suggesting people exchange their UK licences before the plastic jobbies (finally) came in in Jan 2013, those who heeded my advice are now happily holding 'for life' paper licences :D

Unfortunately Spain does not permit unlimited duration licences so reluctantly I had to turn mine in after the first year and now at age 70+ have to renew every 2 years :(

2033 is when France are supposed to have completed a transfer to all photocard licences but I'll lay my bet now that they will miss that, the unknown being by how many years!

Remember they were first introduced by the EU in 1998 and adopted by UK more or less immediately, it took France 23 years to catch up and then largely because of pressure from the EU, even then it was delayed at the last minute with arguments about biometric data and duration.
It’s all high tech here now,
https://www.huffingtonpost.fr/france/ar ... D-20240214

Hotrodder

License expiry

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

Sounds another nightmare scenario. Smartphone ownership will soon be compulsory and you will be in deep merde if it is stolen, lost, or broken. :crazy:

Blaze

License expiry

#10 Post by Blaze »

Hotrodder wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:18 am Smartphone ownership will soon be compulsory and you will be in deep merde if it is stolen, lost, or broken.
That's been the case for a while. Smartphone owners who have everything on their phones and don't synch, back up or make copies could regret it. It's the old adage : Don't put all your eggs in one basket ! I find my bank card works very well ...

I can't remember when I transferred my driving licence to a card in the UK, it was so long ago. Much more practical than a paper licence. My French photocard licence has been useful as ID and much easier to replace if lost or stolen than a passport, even if legally it isn't an ID card. I've never understood the sentimentality about paper licences !!