Translation of technical terms used in car mechanics

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Nomoss

#21 Post by Nomoss »

Thanks for correcting the link, RA. Looking at the format by using "Reply with quote" it looks correct, and it worked when I looked at the Preview.
The only time I use my VAG tool now is to make an automatic fault scan when a service is due. Maybe my Audi is old enough for all the electronics to be fully burnt in. (Touches wood)

rsm

#22 Post by rsm »

You could always buy this dictionary
https://www.amazon.fr/English-French-Fr ... 0353900281

Hotrodder

#23 Post by Hotrodder »

Nomoss wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:10 pm I bought my first car with OBD, a 1996 Audi, which I still have, in Feb 2016............................
EDIT: Before I got hold of an OBD tool I took notice of the old adage: "99% of electrical problems are caused by bad connections". I used to "exercise" all the little plastic plugs and sockets and push-on connectors under the bonnet by separating and reconnecting them after looking inside and cleaning if necessary. I cleared almost all the faults I had on three vehicles by this method. Note that many connector contacts are silver- or gold-plated, and no kind of abrasive should be used on them.
I suspect the garages know this, and take the opportunity to flog a few expensive components after hitting the nearest connector with a bit of contact cleaner. The average car owner advances forward with his credit card on a silver platter.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Char
Site Admin

#24 Post by Char »

Liz wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:49 pm Especially useful for those who use a spanner on their own cars, I have a pdf English-French vocab on our car club's files.
If you like a copy I think I can attach it to a pm (? Char?), but it's probably too long to post here
Thanks Liz :D

I've attached it to this post so people can download it if they wish to. 8-)
CarTechVocab copie.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobertArthur

#25 Post by RobertArthur »

Thanks Liz and Char. For the techies around here: so far I've received 36 updates for my new OBD2 reader. Including the latest one for BMW/Rolls Royce/Mini. I do however doubt if any owner of a new Rolls Royce will allow me to go inside his/her car with my new tech-toy.....

RobertArthur

#26 Post by RobertArthur »

Feedback, finally..... Last year the left front wheel ABS sensor of my Mitsubishi decided to leave a permanent footprint on my OBD2 error codes and my dashboard warning lights. Had to be replaced. Didn't want to go, stuck, a drill had more convincing power than my kind request: please, go.

Hotrodder

#27 Post by Hotrodder »

Both our vehicles are 2001 and I assume have OBD systems connectors somewhere but so far don't cause any trouble. With any luck they have long since corroded away and will leave us alone. I found a useful trick online to lose the servicing mileage prompt on the odometer. Peace of mind. 8-)
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.