Translation of technical terms used in car mechanics

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Char
Site Admin

#1 Post by Char »

I thought this may be interesting for those whose French is not up to dealing with mechanical technical terms - it might help if you're wanting a spare part for your car or something.

https://www.the-burgund.com/trad_cadre.htm

Please feel free to add any further translations below that you think may be helpful to people.
Thanks

RobertArthur

#2 Post by RobertArthur »

Char, about modern cars, these computers on wheels, at your service until strange messages show up.

OBD2 scanner/reader = outil de diagnostic auto obd2

Error code (DTC - Data Trouble Code) = un code défaut

OBD2 standard fault codes = liste des codes de panne OBD2

Kind of problem = une indication sur la famille du défaut

P - Powertrain = moteur et la boîte de vitesse

C - Chassis = châssis

B - Body = carrosserie

U - User network = réseaux de communication

ABS wheel-speed sensor = capteur de vitesse de roue de l'ABS

and many more.........

Hotrodder

#3 Post by Hotrodder »

Replacement of a lost ignition key = €600 s'il vous plait
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

RobertArthur

#4 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Hotrodder, incredible! Computers on wheels or dairy cows on wheels? For half the money I bought my first second (or third) hand car, a 2CV. Beaming me up to modern times: for one third you can buy an excellent OBD2 tester. Not the simple ones, only producing engine related data, but also the other data, braking system etc. Very useful to identify the exact problem area. As a bonus sometimes more measuring: check the condition of your battery (and associated high current wiring). An example, yesterday: a stable 12.6 V, dropping down to about 10 V (below 8 V would have been too low) when starting the engine, going up to 14.5 V and after switch off gradually stabilizing in the direction of the nominal battery voltage. Doesn't tell you everything of course, only a quick and dirty check.

Car mechanics? Car electronics, car ICT these days and corresponding price level. Computer says.....

Liz

#5 Post by Liz »

I'll stick to driving my Morris Minor!
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

Nomoss

#6 Post by Nomoss »

Trouble is, there are over 4,000 generic and manufacturer-specific OBD2 fault codes. That's a lot of measurements and sensors to make sense of, and Sod's Law says something will go wrong which doesn't have an appropriate sensor.

Liz

#7 Post by Liz »

Especially useful for those who use a spanner on their own cars, I have a pdf English-French vocab on our car club's files.
If you like a copy I think I can attach it to a pm (? Char?), but it's probably too long to post here
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

Char
Site Admin

#8 Post by Char »

Liz wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:49 pm Especially useful for those who use a spanner on their own cars, I have a pdf English-French vocab on our car club's files.
If you like a copy I think I can attach it to a pm (? Char?), but it's probably too long to post here
Yes please Liz :D - might be easier by email though admin at franceinfocus.com

Thanks 8-)

Hotrodder

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

Just had a thought. (Just occasionally) Watching a film last night, a car ripping down the road going through the gears, etc. What is the deal with these new fangled electric travesties on wheels. Presumably there is no need for a transmission, the full torque being available from nil revs upwards? One pedal, point and squirt? If that is the case I would assume driving one for the first time would be a real learning experience. Over cook it slightly in the wet and its a brown trouser event in the making.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

RobertArthur

#10 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Hotrodder, maximum torque from 0 RPM but not upwards: read what these professionals have to say.