Why is the second-hand car market booming?

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
RobertArthur

Re: Why is the second-hand car market booming?

#41 Post by RobertArthur »

The official climate spokeswoman in London, Allegra Stratton, prefers to drive her 'third-hand' diesel Volkswagen, much longer range than EVs. Is there an almost free and green electricity lunch? Richard North has the following to say in the Dailymail.

Char
Site Admin

#42 Post by Char »

I see some car manufactures are hedging their bets and developing hydrogen fuel cell cars as well as electric ones.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/germ ... 021-09-22/

Doug

#43 Post by Doug »

Bloody hoorah, ive known for a long time that Germany and Australia were working together to improve hydrogen fuels, lorries in oz have been using it for quite a while, its been the production method which has held things up. Thats for using in engines not fuel cells
Germany has been producing hydrogen train engines for a number of years, saw on tf1 the other day that sncf has now purchased a number of them to come into service 2023.

Spardo

#44 Post by Spardo »

All above my head, scientifically, but wasn't it Exile who put up a good case against hydrogen? :?

Char
Site Admin

#45 Post by Char »

I can't remember who said what tbh Spardo, I came across this article this morning, thought it was interesting and remembered we had a thread running about it and thought others may be interested so I posted it.

exile

#46 Post by exile »

Spardo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:03 pm All above my head, scientifically, but wasn't it Exile who put up a good case against hydrogen? :?
I cannot lie. I did post about hydrogen currently being a non-climate friendly gas.

Perversely this links nicely into the CO2 shortages in the UK.

Nitrogen based fertilisers are made from Ammonia.
Ammonia is made by the Haber-Bosch process combining nitrogen from the atmosphere with hydrogen.
The hydrogen for this process comes from the same process that is used to make hydrogen gas a fuel.
This is the decarbonisation of methane (natural gas) and the process produces CO2 as a by-product.

CH4 + O2 -> 2 H2 + CO2

N2 + 3 H2 -> 2 NH3

Doug

#47 Post by Doug »

The firms in Australia I've read a lot about use solar energy to split it from sea water, the most abundant source on the planet.

exile

#48 Post by exile »

That's the way to go for the future but the process needs electricity and is not overly efficient - hence the current reliance in many places on natural gas. But if you are poor in oil and gas reserves and rich in sunshine it makes lots of sense.

Doug

#49 Post by Doug »

exile wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:23 pm That's the way to go for the future but the process needs electricity and is not overly efficient - hence the current reliance in many places on natural gas. But if you are poor in oil and gas reserves and rich in sunshine it makes lots of sense.
As said like OZ

Doug

#50 Post by Doug »

As at last mami has recieved her fathers inheritance she has decided to get herself car.
Wev'e been looking round for a citreon C3 and yes since we purchased the C4 back in 2018 prices have gone up.
Whilst out and about filled up the C4 for first time in a month and found out how fuel prices have shot up.