Pasta

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
Char
Site Admin

Pasta

#1 Post by Char »

If you eat pasta regularly it might be an idea to by an extra packet - I noticed in a couple of supermarkets I went in this morning that people seem to be buying a lot of all the different types of pasta and there isn't a lot left on the shelves, I don't buy it but thought I'd mention it. Rice, which I eat a lot of seems to be starting to suffer the same problem and it's gone up in price as well.

niemeyjt

Pasta

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

It goes back to the wheat and fertiliser shortages I mentioned on the Ukraine thread.

Shortages are starting to kick off riots already - https://english.alarabiya.net/News/worl ... kraine-war

It is going to be an unsettled year ahead, I think.

L Austin France

Pasta

#3 Post by L Austin France »

niemeyjt wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:47 am It goes back to the wheat and fertiliser shortages I mentioned on the Ukraine thread.

Shortages are starting to kick off riots already - https://english.alarabiya.net/News/worl ... kraine-war

niemeyjt wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:47 am It goes back to the wheat and fertiliser shortages I mentioned on the Ukraine thread.

We make all of our bread so slowly stocking up on flour.
Whilst not recommended I find bread flour makes half decent pasta so that'll also do if we can't buy the 'real' stuff.

exile

Pasta

#4 Post by exile »

And watch for the overspill into other carbohydrates - rice and perhaps a little less so potatoes - but only because potatoes are less easily shipped around the world.

MAD87

Pasta

#5 Post by MAD87 »

I have a bit of a battle with OH over potatoless starch (what is it with Brits and Irish and their spuds?). I'd rather eat pasta and rice any time.

Sparkle

Pasta

#6 Post by Sparkle »

oh dear I fit into the spud category (and bread) - I eat very very little rice or pasta only if I really have to :roll: Give me a sandwich or a bag of chips any day and I'm as happy as Larry (not the cat!) :D
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Spardo

Pasta

#7 Post by Spardo »

I prefer spuds, but not in a bag I have to fill in the supermarket (I only buy single large veg there so just stick the sticker on) but the little covered in mud and full of holes mishapen ones I get from the Saturday market. A quick scrub with a brush under the cold tap and sliced into the steamer. Lovely. :D

Don't always know what colour they are till I scrub them, sometimes red, sometimes white. Excitement and flavour in one ugly bundle. :clap:

exile

Pasta

#8 Post by exile »

I despair in the miniscule choice of potatoes - supermarket or local market. Agatha, Delikatesse, Ratte and if you are lucky a red.

Quiksilver

Pasta

#9 Post by Quiksilver »

On a brighter note...caulis were .99c in Lidl this week. Made oodles of cauli rice to go in the freezer with the home-made curries. Virtuous or what? :lol:

Quiksilver

Pasta

#10 Post by Quiksilver »

exile wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:16 pm I despair in the miniscule choice of potatoes - supermarket or local market. Agatha, Delikatesse, Ratte and if you are lucky a red.
Aaargh! The dreaded Agata, favourite variety of all the supermarkets round here. What were known in UK as 'pig potatoes' because that's all they are fit for....