Buying glasses online

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
curtis

Buying glasses online

#11 Post by curtis »

It's my health cover. Protection mutuelle santé

L Austin France

Buying glasses online

#12 Post by L Austin France »

curtis wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:21 am Mine are free. Reading and long distance. Paid for by MGEN. I can only choose from a basic choice of frames otherwise it costs.
What's MGEN?
Oops! Just turned the page & saw the answer , I think.
Presumably MGEN is the initials of the provider.
So/too many acronyms in France. One needs a dico. of 'em to understand what folk are on about. :roll:
Last edited by L Austin France on Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antonia

Buying glasses online

#13 Post by Antonia »

When I first started wearing reading glasses I used to buy them from Direct Optic. Cheap and cheerful with a good after sales service.

Hotrodder

Buying glasses online

#14 Post by Hotrodder »

There's a big difference in off-the-peg reading glasses and those that correct unequal aberations, etc. A full professional test and prescription is needed.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

curtis

Buying glasses online

#15 Post by curtis »

L Austin France wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:37 pm
curtis wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:21 am Mine are free. Reading and long distance. Paid for by MGEN. I can only choose from a basic choice of frames otherwise it costs.
What's MGEN?
So/too many acronyms in France. One needs a dico. of 'em to understand what folk are on about. :roll:
Mutuelle Générale de L'Education Nationale.

L Austin France

Buying glasses online

#16 Post by L Austin France »

curtis wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:31 pm
L Austin France wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:37 pm
What's MGEN?
Mutuelle Générale de L'Education Nationale.
There you go then!
Nobody, unless they're a member, would have a clue what MGEN meant. :)

beejay

Buying glasses online

#17 Post by beejay »

Hotrodder wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:47 pm There's a big difference in off-the-peg reading glasses and those that correct unequal aberations, etc. A full professional test and prescription is needed.
Agreed but online spex providers require a prescription to be submitted. I've used online spex for many years without problem. I had an eye test recently where the optometrist checked my existing 'cheap online' spex and she decribed them as well made and compliant. Now about to order two pairs online for £25 with a MSM code added to Glasses Direct two for one offer.

The link if anyone's interested

You can get two pairs of designer branded glasses from £25 if you use our MSE Blagged code MSEAPRIL on top of an existing Glasses Direct* offer. The code also gets free delivery and 40% off silver, gold, platinum and Kodak lens packages and is valid until 11.59pm on Thursday 13 April

MAD87

Buying glasses online

#18 Post by MAD87 »

Hotrodder wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:47 pm There's a big difference in off-the-peg reading glasses and those that correct unequal aberations, etc. A full professional test and prescription is needed.
Tout à fait.

Hotrodder

Buying glasses online

#19 Post by Hotrodder »

Haven't a clue what any of you are on about. I am already well aware of the money that can be saved buying online. My point was off-the-peg reading glasses are for basic stepped strengths and do nothing for odd conditions, etc. For these you need a prescription produced from an actual test. You send that to the online suppliers and they produce the lenses and fit them to your choice of frames, saving you a bundle. My prescription was years old and has clearly changed so I was forced to go to a French outfit that charged a bundle for the test and then got the hard sell to buy the glasses from them. I kept rejecting all the options and add ons but the bill still came to way more than I wanted to spend. So it was an expensive exercise that resulted in glasses that are so poor I can't use them.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

suein56

Buying glasses online

#20 Post by suein56 »

Hotrodder wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:22 pm Haven't a clue what any of you are on about. I am already well aware of the money that can be saved buying online. My point was off-the-peg reading glasses are for basic stepped strengths and do nothing for odd conditions, etc. For these you need a prescription produced from an actual test. You send that to the online suppliers and they produce the lenses and fit them to your choice of frames, saving you a bundle. My prescription was years old and has clearly changed so I was forced to go to a French outfit that charged a bundle for the test and then got the hard sell to buy the glasses from them.
Why didn't you go to an Ophthalmologist for your eye test ?
No hard sell there .. just a proper eye test and check up.