Product shrinks, price goes up

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
Lori

#1 Post by Lori »

Yes, I have definitely noticed this. I'm fairly sure this list is a drop in the bucket of reality.

https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/doritos- ... 50188.html

niemeyjt

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

Is it in the government's (any government's) interest to prevent this?

Inflation and related indices are calculated around a basket of products - but if we look it is per item not per gram - so making a package smaller and keeping the price the same looks better than increasing prices and keeping the packet size the same.

So the inflation figures (and CPI/RPI in the UK) are lower this way - so ministers who have promised to reduce inflation can say they did their job and all those pay rises based on the figures can be lower saving the government money.

Everyone's a winner - apart from the consumer.

ajm

#3 Post by ajm »

Mars bars and Wagon Wheels were a lot bigger when I was a lad.

niemeyjt

#4 Post by niemeyjt »

Isn't the Mars bar shrinkage, in part, due to the 250-calorie limit that all manufacturers have to adopt?

Wilbro

#5 Post by Wilbro »

Yes Wagon Wheels were the size of dustbin lids and it took two of us to carry a Mars Bar when I was a lad :lol:

exile

#6 Post by exile »

The one we notice most is the cost of Felix (Tendre effiles) cat food.

Once upon a time (5 years ago) we bought boxes of 48 sachets at a price of 2.67€/kg (which is the only price I am interested in). These then went to boxes of 44 sachets at the same price per box. Then 40 sachets per box. Then back to 44 sachets but the size of a sachet had dropped from 100g to 85g. I have seen boxes with 80g per sachet but never bought. I expect that that will be the next move.

I am now buying boxes of 120 sachets (85g) at a price of 4.61€/kg. So in 5 years a 73% increase in price, much of it hidden through reducing the number of sachets and the sachet size. Shame on you Nestle.

Wilbro

#7 Post by Wilbro »

@exile I
Yes, we were buying it from zooplus but no longer. They now get supermarket own label food but also Purina croquettes. In the evening they share (two cats) a sachet of Whiskas (85g).
Just looked at zooplus 6.66 euros/kilo for a box of 44!

Hotrodder

#8 Post by Hotrodder »

Mice around here are free, and a hungry cat is pretty good at catching them. 8-)
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Sparkle

#9 Post by Sparkle »

ajm wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:39 am Mars bars and Wagon Wheels were a lot bigger when I was a lad.
and you were a lot smaller :D
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Hotrodder

#10 Post by Hotrodder »

Dishonesty and deception are the mainstay of modern retail capitalism. Of course the shareholders raking in their dividends don't complain.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.