It's the time of the season...

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
RobertArthur

#1 Post by RobertArthur »

No, not a link to a song of The Zombies, hunting season opens this coming weekend in the Nièvre.

Bayleaf

#2 Post by Bayleaf »

It started on Sunday for us here in NE Dordogne. Sounded like a bunch of trigger happy so-and-so's popping away all morning. I can't believe there were that many targets in such a short space of time!

Just when we're nearing the end of the fly season for the animals - a different, much more dangerous pest is out there! :lol: :?

Lori

#3 Post by Lori »

Bayleaf wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:19 pm Sounded like a bunch of trigger happy so-and-so's popping away all morning.
Yep, round here too. I see the same vehicles that I saw every weekend last year after we arrived. I can now differentiate the hunter vehicles from those that reside on our road.

A couple of days ago, we saw two young deer playing in the field next door. The donkeys were on the other side. Not sure if either would mind the other.

niemeyjt

#4 Post by niemeyjt »

What worries me most is that ammo is for rifles - and will kill a human at over a mile distance - well beyond the sightline of even a sober hunter.

RobertArthur

#5 Post by RobertArthur »

@ niemeyjt, it has been an arms race the last thirty years, long distance high velocity ammo. Poor sangliers. Don' move or move very fast, just like when the ancient Greeks and Romans went hunting, no other survival technologies available for them.

Lori

#6 Post by Lori »

niemeyjt wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:22 pm What worries me most is that ammo is for rifles - and will kill a human at over a mile distance - well beyond the sightline of even a sober hunter.
Yes, this always limits our walks during hunting season. :(

Hotrodder

#7 Post by Hotrodder »

Better change to jogging. A moving target with be more challenging.

New product idea: Kevlar ballistics clothing for walkers and domestic pets.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

#8 Post by niemeyjt »

Isn't there already a suggestion to use bright day-glo colours to supposedly alert hunters to human presence?

Lori

#9 Post by Lori »

Considering they often shoot themselves (the hunters), I think I'll try to avoid their 'domain.'

Chappers51

#10 Post by Chappers51 »

I always dog walk between 7am and 8am in the hunting season, even wearing a head torch when it’s still dark. Freddy had 2 fluorescent coats and collars and I’ve just ordered one for Raffi (Freddy’s are too big). I wear my fluorescent gilet over my winter coat.

When I first had the house (23 years ago) it was possible to walk between 12.15 and 14h on a Saturday and Sunday, because the chasseurs always returned to base for an apéro. Now it seems the younger generation keep going all day, so no chance of lunchtime walks.