Good to be a local

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
L Austin France

Good to be a local

#1 Post by L Austin France »

Mme LAF was mutt walking in our sister town & noticed the market fishmonger had mussels for sale.
She ordered 1.5 kg & was going to pay using her phone app. when the guy reminded her he only accepted cash which was a problem as, not anticipating cash shopping, she only had the phone with her.
"No worries" said the guy " I know you're a local so pay me the next time you're here"
Just eat the moules & they were excellent. :D

Hotrodder

Good to be a local

#2 Post by Hotrodder »

Wonderful fish man. Trust hasn't quite gone out of fashion here like it has elsewhere.
Sadly, I'm now allergic to moules but used to enjoy them.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

curtis

Good to be a local

#3 Post by curtis »

What happens if you eat the moules? Anything exciting?

L Austin France

Good to be a local

#4 Post by L Austin France »

curtis wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:02 pm What happens if you eat the moules? Anything exciting?
Like what? :?

Polly

Good to be a local

#5 Post by Polly »

L Austin France wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:11 pm
curtis wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:02 pm What happens if you eat the moules? Anything exciting?
Like what? :?

Don’t want too graphic a description in case others of us turn green! 🤮

Hotrodder

Good to be a local

#6 Post by Hotrodder »

Projectile V******g.
I am only allergic to that and goat's cheese as far as I know.
I could probably have a similar reaction if I came too close to a Conservative but I am careful to avoid them.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

rabbit

Good to be a local

#7 Post by rabbit »

I can eat all shellfish except palourdes. I was ill once after eating some and since then I developed an allergy. I love them but can’t eat without vomiting. My wife put some in a fish stew without me knowing to test if it was psychosomatic. 30 mins later she knew the answer. If you have such an allergy take care it can be dangerous. I never eat mixed shellfish dishes where I don’t know the contents

Blaze

Good to be a local

#8 Post by Blaze »

I don't eat any shellfish except Coquilles St Jacques, and I will happily eat prawns and langoustines - cooked of course.
A question of taste, and I'm not prepared to take the risk. The thought of swallowing a slimy raw oyster doesn't grab me ... 🤢

OH reacted badly to an oyster once and he wasn't sick straight away. It started to hit him 3 or 4 days later and he was affected for about 6 months before specific medication sorted it out. It was very nasty. However, it didn't put him off but he's more careful these days.

rabbit

Good to be a local

#9 Post by rabbit »

Blaze, oysters aren’t slimey :) :) They are delicious and the ones from Cancale, on your doorstep are particularly good. Despite my palourde allergy I eat lots of oysters. I have eaten thousands over the years and never had a bad one. The Brittany oysters have good clean water and are well monitored and regulated.

Blaze

Good to be a local

#10 Post by Blaze »

Rabbit Slimy or not, oysters aren't for me !!
We know a lot of people in the shellfish business here - as you say the Cancale oysters are renowned as are the moules de bouchot from the Baie de Mont Saint Michel. We buy our fish from a fisherman 100m from here so we're pretty spoilt really.