Buying fashion in Paris

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
Spectrum

Buying fashion in Paris

#21 Post by Spectrum »

L Austin France wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:19 am
Spectrum wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:54 am Are crocs those horrible, muti coloured, smelly plastic things, ill fitting, ghastly looking things that are bad for your feet? in my day kids from poor families wore plastic shoes, they are only slightly worse than "Jesus" sandals worn all year round and in all weathers, bring on the knacked feet and arthritis, proper shoes/trainers/ boots for outdoors and slippers indoors, ladies in high heels for both if so inclined :shh:
You obviously ain't got a clue :crazy:
Smelly? Don't think so! Easily & quickly washed if required unlike 'proper shoes'
Bad for your feet? Don't think so! Check out the number of hospital staff who wear them.
Ill fitting? Don't think so! No different than any other shoes if you're not bright enough to buy the correct size.
Bring on the knacked feet and arthritis? don't think so! My feet are in excellent nick after wearing Crocs for years. :ugeek:
Ghastly looking? I like 'em. Who cares what you think they look like.
Plenty of info on-line about how bad they are but if you like them its your feet, your feet need to be kept dry and reasonably warm and more important shoes are there to give you support, as said the professional advice is out there, if people chose to ignore it, then its not my problem.

RobertArthur

Buying fashion in Paris

#22 Post by RobertArthur »

It is good to hear that not everybody here is a dedicated follower of fashion. An example: going to the beach of Deauville, or doing some work with your chainsaw or plastering a wall, dressed in black: not my cup of tea. Probably some people prefer to avoid dirty hands, or can afford to sleep only once in a luxury villa: maison à vendre.

Personal touch: one of my favorite sweaters, hand knitted (by the OH around 1970), pure wool, not in showroom condition anymore, who cares.

Hotrodder

Buying fashion in Paris

#23 Post by Hotrodder »

To sum up.
"Old enough to know better. Young to not give a sh*t".
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Spectrum

Buying fashion in Paris

#24 Post by Spectrum »

Yes doing work with strimmer's, pushing a lawn mower, using a chainsaw, doing heavy building work, repairing cars or just lifting heavy things while wearing Crocs, Flip Flops and Jesus sandals, A&E awaits you :o , also I think its illegal now to drive cars wearing this type of footwear, but it only my opinion which I believe I am able to have.

Hotrodder

Buying fashion in Paris

#25 Post by Hotrodder »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:54 am Are crocs those horrible, muti coloured, smelly plastic things, ill fitting, ghastly looking things that are bad for your feet? in my day kids from poor families wore plastic shoes, they are only slightly worse than "Jesus" sandals worn all year round and in all weathers, bring on the knacked feet and arthritis, proper shoes/trainers/ boots for outdoors and slippers indoors, ladies in high heels for both if so inclined :shh:
My first (and last) pair of Jesus sandals was bought in Tijuana, the infamous Mexican border town where pretty much anything was available. They were hand made with rough leather that was literally nailed to a foot-shaped slice of old car tyre. Heavy and uncomfortable but made wonderful tracks if you got them wet and then walked on a dry pavement.
I have always avoided trainers. They are the ones that really stink because they make my feet sweat. My 60s footware was either flip flops or those boots with cuban heels and both were no good for my feet. Then I found a job working for a fashion company that gave a big staff discount. I ordered a pair of "ordinary" dress shoes that had been made by a subsidiary company in the group, a old respected east coast name. They were made from buffalo calf skin and straight out of the box they felt perfect. I have never since had any shoes that were that good. I have a wide foot and that rules out anything affordable. Clark's come close if I can find the exact size & fitment secondhand on Ebay. Failing that I am now found in clog-type shoes because I always remove them when coming indoors rather than tracking mud, leaves, and wet inside. Rohde is the brand, made in Germany. Looking them up online I see they are not shoes but slippers but they are so well made I get several years out of them used as outdoor shoes. These days they are £69 a pair. :o
The ordinary shoes in their range are £99 ro over £250.

I must have an old car tyre somewhere in the workshop.
Last edited by Hotrodder on Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

RobertArthur

Buying fashion in Paris

#26 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Hotrodder, after a fast reconnaissance trip on the beach this morning with my four-wheel drive the back from mission report, not a representative survey of course, is: not anyone wearing only black, the lady with this Rohde type of shoes also missing.
Last edited by RobertArthur on Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polly

Buying fashion in Paris

#27 Post by Polly »

RA, love that sweater, old or not - similar to some of my husband’s.

I also love HUGGYS N°56 in the Rhode selection you showed.

Spectrum

Buying fashion in Paris

#28 Post by Spectrum »

RobertArthur wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:50 pm @ Hotrodder, ater a fast reconnaissance trip on the beach this morning with my four-wheel drive the back from mission report, not a representative survey of course, is: not anyone wearing only black, the lady with this Rohde type of shoes also missing.
Some of them for DW look very nice but as you said mainly indoor wear, I am not a big fan of the backless type of fit, I seem to walk out of them, my every day outdoor shoe are safety trainers, made of suede I have a few different styles, also a pair of "Cat" boots, the DW loves her UGG boots, she was born wearing high heels, for work, for rest and for play :oops: its her biggest regret and loss since her stroke, that she unable to continue do so :cry:

Blaze

Buying fashion in Paris

#29 Post by Blaze »

Re Crocs : not supportive enough for me and only ever worn in a campsite. However, they're obligatory in some sections of the hospitals in this area because they can be put in a washing machine. I thought they looked rather fetching in the bright colours but apparently no-one really likes them because they're very tiring on the feet as they don't give enough support. It seems most would prefer to wear trainers - don't blame them.

Spectrum

Buying fashion in Paris

#30 Post by Spectrum »

Blaze wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:34 pm Re Crocs : not supportive enough for me and only ever worn in a campsite. However, they're obligatory in some sections of the hospitals in this area because they can be put in a washing machine. I thought they looked rather fetching in the bright colours but apparently no-one really likes them because they're very tiring on the feet as they don't give enough support. It seems most would prefer to wear trainers - don't blame them.
Its funny you should say that, in the UK they are not compulsory for NHS in fact they are banned in certain departments as a danger of cross infection, the ones without any holes in are acceptable, our daughter found them comfortable but hated the look of them but she does have big feet and is six foot, still smaller than daddy :D