Internet British Corner Shop is no more

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
Hotrodder

#41 Post by Hotrodder »

Living near a ghetto of UK expats, even our local animal rescue charity shop keeps a few shelves of well-known British foods.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

exile

#42 Post by exile »

Loup-garou wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:10 pm Thank you for all the responses - maybe a visit to Spec Savers is needed. Apologies for the thread diversion!
I'm not sure any apology is needed. We had already steered to what products do you buy and possible sourcing.

DominicBest

#43 Post by DominicBest »

Hotrodder wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:19 pm The fuss is when people can't afford to just pop over the UK to do a bit of shopping for items you can actually do without. Sometimes the little things in life bring enjoyment.
Afford? I went as a foot passenger from Calais. I took the train to Calais, that cost €10.

Bayleaf

#44 Post by Bayleaf »

DominicBest wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 am
Hotrodder wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:19 pm The fuss is when people can't afford to just pop over the UK to do a bit of shopping for items you can actually do without. Sometimes the little things in life bring enjoyment.
Afford? I went as a foot passenger from Calais. I took the train to Calais, that cost €10.
How much shopping could you carry though?! 8-)

DominicBest

#45 Post by DominicBest »

[quote=Bayleaf post_id=50278 time=1710925623 user_id=183]
[quote=DominicBest post_id=50274 time=1710920089 user_id=81]
[quote=Hotrodder post_id=50236 time=1710793186 user_id=53]
The fuss is when people can't afford to just pop over the UK to do a bit of shopping for items you can actually do without. Sometimes the little things in life bring enjoyment.
[/quote]

[/quote]

How much shopping could you carry though?! 8-)
[/quote]

The whole point of my first post was even when I’m in a British supermarket I only buy Marmite and I can easily buy that in France anybody. I never saw the point of the British Corner Shop, Mouse to House and the like. When I go to Spain later in the year I will probably buy some cheese biscuits that I particularly enjoy to bring back with me and if I get to Germany as planned it’s likely that I won’t be able to resist the odd irresistible treat that I’ve long forgotten that caught my eye but for everyday living I can get all I want and need in my local shops.

Bayleaf

#46 Post by Bayleaf »

To each their own ..... 8-)

DominicBest

#47 Post by DominicBest »

What are the desirable British products that people crave? I did go to a Mouse to House drop off point with a friend once and was surprised when his box contained sliced white bread, potatoes and toilet paper.

demi

#48 Post by demi »

"Man Size" Tissues!! Especially with the cold I have atm.

Doug

#49 Post by Doug »

demi wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:58 pm "Man Size" Tissues!! Especially with the cold I have atm.
+1 the one thing which we have brought down for us for mami.
I use kitchen roll but it makes the nose sore.

exile

#50 Post by exile »

DominicBest wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:46 pm What are the desirable British products that people crave? I did go to a Mouse to House drop off point with a friend once and was surprised when his box contained sliced white bread, potatoes and toilet paper.
Read the earlier posts and you will get a good idea. No one here has posted any of those products but a lot of French toilet paper is a bit - shall we say - flimsy.