Internet British Corner Shop is no more

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
Headers

#1 Post by Headers »

We have only just realised.
They went into administration in Jan 24.
Was it Brexit? Probably.
Pity because their link with Marks and Sparks was handy.

Bayleaf

#2 Post by Bayleaf »

Yep, sad but true. A result of many factors I expect, but certainly brexshit played a part. Their items were "eyewateringly expensive" as one client said. Ah, the good ol' days of Sterling Shopping bringing stuff over from wherever are but a distant memory.

exile

#3 Post by exile »

Expensive they may have been but anyone who can still source their goods elsewhere will find that the likes of Amazon are even more expensive. Of course you won't be able to get the M&S Xmas pud unless someone is travelling over.

And of course one thing many forget is that while most of the goods sold are VAT free in the UK, they attract sales taxes in Europe. That adds 20-ish % straight away.

Bayleaf

#4 Post by Bayleaf »

@exile Absolutely - it's all the extra taxes that were bound to push the prices up - plus, the business still needs to make a profit.

hughnique

#5 Post by hughnique »

Same old story, companies do this to make a profit, and any costs generated by the likes of Brexshit are passed down the line. It has been said many times before WTF were the British public thinking of when they voted for this split.

Hotrodder

#6 Post by Hotrodder »

Surely you know the answer.
They wanted their sovereignty back and were keen to pick their own vegetables.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

exile

#7 Post by exile »

Hotrodder wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:06 am
They ..... were keen to pick their own vegetables.
And what a bunch they picked - Johnson, Gove, Farrage, Reece-Mogg et al.

Nomoss

#8 Post by Nomoss »

The biggest loss for us has been the chilled food items unobtainable here. All now banned in France anyway.

exile

#9 Post by exile »

I don't think anything is banned but the bureaucracy and costs makes the import uneconomic. A vets report is required for meat or dairy products to confirm that the animals were fit, healthy and not suffering any disease. I believe the vet has to be registered with the EU as well.
I gather the report stretches to many pages and is time consuming if nothing else. So certification costs several hundred pounds and would normally make the product uneconomic to import.

A.N.Other

#10 Post by A.N.Other »

Obviously the market here in Spain is bigger but there are a number of 'English' shops which seem to have survived Brexshite and still stock a wide range of goods. Butchers are relatively plentiful too, I have one 5 minutes away from where I live and two more within about 15 minutes.

Had roast pork for lunch today, cooked in the air fryer.
20231210_161703.jpg

An opportunity for someone to set up a Spain to France shopping service?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.