Internet British Corner Shop is no more

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
Nomoss

#21 Post by Nomoss »

exile wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:14 pm I don't think anything is banned but the bureaucracy and costs makes the import uneconomic. A vets report is required for meat or dairy products to confirm that the animals were fit, healthy and not suffering any disease. I believe the vet has to be registered with the EU as well.
I gather the report stretches to many pages and is time consuming if nothing else. So certification costs several hundred pounds and would normally make the product uneconomic to import.
Thanks.

MAD87

#22 Post by MAD87 »

I admit to buying Branston Pickle after decades of doing without...
I also prefer Heinz Baked Beans to haricots blanc à la tomate, as the former are softer. I agree they're sweeter, but what the hell.
I don't drink tea.

Hotrodder

#23 Post by Hotrodder »

Another option for meaty treats is https://baconbythebox.com/.
Again, not cheap but ooh so good quality. And you don't need titanium dentures to chew the beef. They also do a wide range of other grocery items but the prices are eye watering. :shock:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

glazedallover

#24 Post by glazedallover »

I did my one and only order with the British Corner Shop towards the end of last year, so not long before they went bust. Yesterday I had cause to open the first of two jars of Colmans horseradish sauce. Sell by date Nov 2022 ! Barstewards. Tastes alright tho'.

A.N.Other

#25 Post by A.N.Other »

Blaze wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:19 am I'm curious to know what people buy (or bought) from the "English" shops as we've never seen one but then we've never looked for one.
It's not so much about WHAT you buy as having the choice. Living in a foreign country doesn't mean you have to go full native and completely forego foods which you enjoyed in your former life, particularly when they are so readily available and in many case not as expensive as you might imagine, again the economies of scale :D

DominicBest

#26 Post by DominicBest »

I went shopping in Canterbury yesterday. I bought Marmite. I can buy Marmite in France so it’s not a big deal but there was nothing else there that I needed or wanted. I really don’t understand the fuss.

Hotrodder

#27 Post by Hotrodder »

The fuss is when people can't afford to just pop over the UK to do a bit of shopping for items you can actually do without. Sometimes the little things in life bring enjoyment.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Quiksilver

#28 Post by Quiksilver »

The ultimate :roll: moment for me was being present at a Sterling Shopping delivery when they were offloading Tesco bags full of white sliced bread :lol: FFS! (Just for the record, I was taking delivery of a Vax floor cleaner that definitely wasn't available in France :D ). Each to their own.....

Polarengineer

#29 Post by Polarengineer »

I have horseradish growing in the garden if anyone wants a root I would post it to you. you cannot stop it growing and the tiniest root would grow into a feast for your salt beef or salmon. you need to contain the roots, it is a rampant weed.

hughnique

#30 Post by hughnique »

Someone mentioned curry sauces earlier, I used to be a fan of the jars of all different types of flavours, be it Vindaloo, Madras or whatever, recently I have found that they all taste more or less the same, and have a faint resemblance to a curry. There is a product called Taylor made, which consists of 3 sachets of ingredients, Sharwoods have also jumped on the bandwagon with their take on it, but these certainly are an improvement on the traditional mixes.