Amazon scam?

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
Liz

Amazon scam?

#1 Post by Liz »

Bit worried about Amazon today.
i went to log in to amazon.fr to check the info on the last car battery we ordered, to give the details to another clasic car friend.
It asked me to click on an email link to get a security code rather than opening a box for my password.
Fine, Ok I thought, extra security, email code arrived but then when I tapped in the code it asked for the security details on the back of the debit card I usually use. NOT my password.
Whoa, really????
That does not seem right.
Wondered what amazon.uk log in was doing : same thing!
I did not arrive in France on the last banana boat so I haven't put the card security numbers in.....

Anybody else had this happen, or could perhaps try their log-in and see what happens?
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

Bayleaf

Amazon scam?

#2 Post by Bayleaf »

Amazon.fr - no problems, just logged straight in. Amazon.co.uk - adresse introuvable.

Someone also told me that you can't order something on amazon uk and have it sent to another address, ie, like a gift. Delivery address has to be same as cardholder address.

Edit - amazon uk now comes up, but says they'll only show you things deliverable to France. Another sign of stricter security I guess.

Liz

Amazon scam?

#3 Post by Liz »

thanks
I ended up calling amazon.fr to check, all ok and I have changed my password and added a mobile number for double-log in security
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

Lori

Amazon scam?

#4 Post by Lori »

Didn't have any problem signing into Amazon.fr just now. Am about to place a gift order to be sent to our daughter in Paris. So far, same as normal.

I also had no problem signing into my Mom's U.S. Amazon.com account.

No messages like what you had. We've never had anything like that happen.

Wilbro

Amazon scam?

#5 Post by Wilbro »

I send items to our daughter in the UK via Amazon uk. Our address in France is on my card. No problems!
Last edited by Wilbro on Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nomoss

Amazon scam?

#6 Post by Nomoss »

Bayleaf wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 pm Amazon.fr - no problems, just logged straight in. Amazon.co.uk - adresse introuvable.

Someone also told me that you can't order something on amazon uk and have it sent to another address, ie, like a gift. Delivery address has to be same as cardholder address.

Edit - amazon uk now comes up, but says they'll only show you things deliverable to France. Another sign of stricter security I guess.
When I logged in to Amazon UK earlier today I got a message saying they were showing me only items which could be delivered to France, not that they would not do so. I clicked on an option offered to show all items and that was that. I can see items whether or not they can be sent to France.

Lori

Amazon scam?

#7 Post by Lori »

Nomoss wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 pm When I logged in to Amazon UK earlier today I got a message saying they were showing me only items which could be delivered to France, not that they would not do so. I clicked on an option offered to show all items and that was that. I can see items whether or not they can be sent to France.
This has been the case for us when signing into the U.S. Amazon site for a long while now. As you say, you can change it to show all options with no problem.

Polarengineer

Amazon scam?

#8 Post by Polarengineer »

Is there some reason that anyone would use Amazon UK while living in France? What am I missing? Did you know that you can enter a search in English and the Amazon AI finds what you are looking for?

Chappers51

Amazon scam?

#9 Post by Chappers51 »

I use Amazon UK for my kindle and certain other books (usually cookbooks) which are either not available here or are considerably more expensive.

Doug

Amazon scam?

#10 Post by Doug »

Chappers51 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:43 am I use Amazon UK for my kindle and certain other books (usually cookbooks) which are either not available here or are considerably more expensive.
Same here, also for grandchildren presents.