SUET

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
Veem

SUET

#1 Post by Veem »

Knowing that Vic was recently trying to find a source for suet, I thought this may help.

I recently began buying my meat from a Scot who farms quite locally and is a trained butcher. He takes orders for monthly deliveries in a dozen or so towns scattered around this area. I picked up my first order on Saturday in Confolens and on Sunday cooked the best beef joint we have had in a long time.

He and his wife are a friendly couple and keen to help where they can. I wrote to ask if there was any chance they might prepare and supply dripping and suet. His reply doesn't mention dripping, but he's going to add some suet to my next order.

Other than paying a fortune to buy from Amazon, this seems to be the answer. Vic, depending on how much he pops in, I could perhaps send you some for your next oggie batch?

Nomoss

Re: SUET

#2 Post by Nomoss »

My wife uses it mainly for Christmas puddings. She buys it - graisse de rognon - from local butchers who buy in whole carcasses.

Spectrum

#3 Post by Spectrum »

You can get "Autora" from the English shop in Chabanais, but you could use lard or butter. There is a Dutch couple near "Manot" that rear and slaughter their own "Hereford" breed of cattle, been using them for a few years, all good, never asked them about suet but Iam sure they would sell some to you, or even give it away with an order. If you want dripping ask at the butchers either independent or supermarket for beef fat, they will have round the back, and they may well give it you. The way we do it is to buy the very cheap ribs not much meat, but some fat, stand them in a tray off the bottom, I use crumpet rings, then put some of the beef fat on the top, into a low oven 160" for 2/3hrs, then take the meat off cut up very finely, do the same for the fat that was on the beef, put back for 1/2 hr, take out and pour into small ramekin type dishes, it will freeze as well.

Veem

#4 Post by Veem »

Thanks for that Spectrum.

I'll certainly have a look in the shop in Chabannais for Atora. Is that the Vienne tea rooms or the one opposite where Petticoat Lane was? I'd also be really interested in contact details of the Dutch couple near Manot. as we're very close to there too.

Nomoss - I asked a butcher ages ago and was told they don't 'do' suet and he suggested a pack of something called Lardine, which as yet I haven't used. I like it for dumplings and we're fast heading into dumpling season!

L Austin France

#5 Post by L Austin France »

Veem wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:08 pm Knowing that Vic was recently trying to find a source for suet, I thought this may help.

I recently began buying my meat from a Scot who farms quite locally and is a trained butcher. He takes orders for monthly deliveries in a dozen or so towns scattered around this area. I picked up my first order on Saturday in Confolens and on Sunday cooked the best beef joint we have had in a long time.

He and his wife are a friendly couple and keen to help where they can. I wrote to ask if there was any chance they might prepare and supply dripping and suet. His reply doesn't mention dripping, but he's going to add some suet to my next order.

Other than paying a fortune to buy from Amazon, this seems to be the answer. Vic, depending on how much he pops in, I could perhaps send you some for your next oggie batch?
Cheers V.
We're pretty well stocked up with Atora at the mo following Jak's recent ferry trip to see the kids.
She's still mithering that she could have brought more 'stuff' over having been waived through by the customs both ways.

manonthemoon2

#6 Post by manonthemoon2 »

My OH has never been stopped on his 2 weekly trips back and forth in France.

He was searched in Newhaven, sniffer dogs were interested in his wallet. He never has any money in his wallet as was proved when they searched it 🤣😅 only moths flew out

Spectrum

#7 Post by Spectrum »

Veem wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:24 pm Thanks for that Spectrum.

I'll certainly have a look in the shop in Chabannais for Atora. Is that the Vienne tea rooms or the one opposite where Petticoat Lane was? I'd also be really interested in contact details of the Dutch couple near Manot. as we're very close to there too.

Nomoss - I asked a butcher ages ago and was told they don't 'do' suet and he suggested a pack of something called Lardine, which as yet I haven't used. I like it for dumplings and we're fast heading into dumpling season!
Yes the one opposite Petticoat lane was, cannot comment on the Tea room.

Spardo

#8 Post by Spardo »

Takes me back, mention of dripping, we were given bread and dripping and cocoa every evening for supper at boarding school. :D
Never ate so well in my life. Cooked breakfast, school dinner (unlike many of my contemporaries I loved school dinners ;) ), high tea (fish cakes or similar) at around 6pm and supper at about 9 (varied as to age). Lovely.

Never went over 9 stone till I got married at 28, but then we had an awful lot of running around and walking, a mile to school and back from the boarding house, 2 mile walk and back to the rugby field, compulsory country walks (choose and name your partner for safety's sake) Sunday afternoons. But no talking to girls, carnal sin. Obviously the sins we did commit were not really carnal, but there wasn't much talking either. :lol:

Sorry, don't know what came over me then. :roll: