No Mow May

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
niemeyjt

No Mow May

#1 Post by niemeyjt »

I know some are already well into this movement, but for those who aren't here is a resource from the originators:

https://nomowmay.plantlife.org.uk/

exile

No Mow May

#2 Post by exile »

Obviously an idea put around by sellers of industrial mowers.

I cut our grass (there are patches that I do leave where we have cowslips growing) for the first time this month, having previously cut at the very end of April. The power mower only just coped and on several occasions stalled due to the length of the grass. If I had left it until June, it would have been a job for the strimmer and strimming and then raking up half an acre is no joke.

Polarengineer

No Mow May

#3 Post by Polarengineer »

It's UK again init. Grass grows later up north.

MAD87

No Mow May

#4 Post by MAD87 »

And in a normal summer, we have no mow July-August here!

Bayleaf

No Mow May

#5 Post by Bayleaf »

MAD87 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:46 am And in a normal summer, we have no mow July-August here!
That's more like it! Most mowers wouldn't cope, and don't, if the area of grass someone wants to keep tidy is left for the month of May. Great idea, but impractical around here. We don't spray chemicals anymore, so hopefully that makes up for it!

Polarengineer

No Mow May

#6 Post by Polarengineer »

I always leave a quarter of the front garden to grow wild until about August. It is full of primroses in spring, then daffodils, now the grass is high and there are wild orchids in there. I would love to leave more of it to nature, but a quarter is just enough for me to cope with the weed wacker when it does get cut.

Blaze

No Mow May

#7 Post by Blaze »

I leave large patches of long grass and just cut pathways. The long grass dies off later in the year, hopefully having self-seeded, though competition with weeds isn't easy ...
It's easy to cut the grass when it dies off with the ride on after a dry summer, and the strimmer makes short work of the awkward bits.

Char
Site Admin

No Mow May

#8 Post by Char »

The vast majority of my garden is a wilderness, I don't think the little bit I cut would really make much difference.