Bat box surprise

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
Headers

Bat box surprise

#1 Post by Headers »

We put up a couple of boxes several years ago. They have remained unused until this year.
I heard something scratching the other evening. Probably a lizard. I stood and waited and a couple of bats flew out. Yippee.
I had a go at filming them last night. There was a build up of about 20 mins of little screeches and scratching. As the light faded they came out.
Eleven. One was still in the box when I went back indoors.
It’s not a very big box. Nature is amazing.

Quiksilver

Bat box surprise

#2 Post by Quiksilver »

We've always had bats nesting under the front-door porch, so put up a bat-box to create more space for them :D I'm not sure that it's been entirely successful though as I regularly find youngsters clinging to the wall behind shutters.

MAD87

Bat box surprise

#3 Post by MAD87 »

Quiksilver wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:32 am I regularly find youngsters clinging to the wall behind shutters.
Here too. I think we have them in the loft also.

Loup-garou

Bat box surprise

#4 Post by Loup-garou »

I put up three, which are well protected from weather, about 8 years ago. Nothing. My friend, 200 meters away on the other side of the road, can't use his shutters as they have colonised them in the open position. :(

Hotrodder

Bat box surprise

#5 Post by Hotrodder »

Last year we had some drama with them flying around the bedroom. Haven't a clue how they got in but it took a few nights of chasing them around catching them in a blanket to throw them outside. They eventually found somewhere else to live.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Lori

Bat box surprise

#6 Post by Lori »

Hotrodder wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:25 am Last year we had some drama with them flying around the bedroom. Haven't a clue how they got in but it took a few nights of chasing them around catching them in a blanket to throw them outside. They eventually found somewhere else to live.
Happened to us fairly regularly when we lived in the Vaucluse. I'd have to close off all the interior doors in order to trap the bat in one room. From there, I opened the window and off he'd go. They were forever making homes behind our open shutters. Made a huge mess on the window ledge and also required us to install window screens in order to open the windows at night in Summer.

No idea what this region will bring. Have only been here 7 months.

Quiksilver

Bat box surprise

#7 Post by Quiksilver »

Hotrodder wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:25 am Last year we had some drama with them flying around the bedroom. Haven't a clue how they got in but it took a few nights of chasing them around catching them in a blanket to throw them outside. They eventually found somewhere else to live.
You're all heart :lol:

Polarengineer

Bat box surprise

#8 Post by Polarengineer »

In our first years here in France we sat reading in bed one night and with a partly restored bedroom, only the main lamp was available. We always have the window open, but the shutters were not yet fixed, so the lamp attracted many insects followed by about twenty bats. Bats circling the room cast shadows on the walls such that it looked like a thousand of them flying, a real Hitchkock scene. Mrs PE was screaming a bit and demanded that I did something about it. She hid under the sheets while I turned off the light and went to sleep. No light, no insects, the bats soon left of their own accord when the food was finished.