Good News for Glyphosate lovers!

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
Quiksilver

#11 Post by Quiksilver »

Bayleaf wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:00 am It seems you'll be able to poison the ground (under certain conditions/restrictions) for another 10 years, sod the consequences! ;)
https://www.sudouest.fr/economie/agricu ... 722923.php
Sounds to me like the Glyco producers are leaning on the Govt to keep their coffers full - and the science is still being questioned ....... At least we can protect the flora and fauna in our own little valley/turnip in the country. :(
I'm pleased for you. I'm equally pleased that (assuming it's use is approved for particuliers) I'll have an invaluable tool to help me manage my land. There are certain situations where a systemic herbicide, used carefully and intelligently, is the only way to eradicate perennial weeds. Unfortunately, there are a lot of farmers who take advice from 'agri-techniciens' i.e. salespeople which leads to indiscriminate and ever-increasing use of chemicals. All in the name of profit, naturally. There has also been a tendency here in France for manufacturers to use glyphosate in most products, whether it is appropriate or not. That's hardly the farmers' fault?
Having read quite a bit about the concoctions that ecolo types have been merrily spreading on their gardens, including vinegar, bleach and salt, it would seem that education is what is required, not hysterical scare-mongering or politically-motivated, sensationalist media hype.

Blaze

#12 Post by Blaze »

Quiksilver wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:02 pm Having read quite a bit about the concoctions that ecolo types have been merrily spreading on their gardens, including vinegar, bleach and salt, it would seem that education is what is required, not hysterical scare-mongering or politically-motivated, sensationalist media hype.
+1 !

exile

#13 Post by exile »

Blaze wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:44 am I've never understood why individuals are banned from using certain products in the name of pollution/poisoning when farmers are allowed to continue to use far greater and often stronger quantities.

Because farmers as professionals are supposed to be trained in the safe use of such chemicals* where the man on the street would not even think about reading a safety data sheet, let alone following the instructions.

As an example of this:

How often do you don rubber gloves and ensure that you have eye protection?

That is the advice for handling common or garden bleach - in all its forms

* I am not saying they all do, nor that they all follow the advice. I have seen plenty examples where they have not. " I was only......", being the phrase after an incident.

Blaze

#14 Post by Blaze »

exile wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 pm How often do you don rubber gloves and ensure that you have eye protection?
Years ago we had a plantation, everything was paid for by various subventions (grubbing up the land, ploughing, planting the mottes) as well as the selective weedkiller which had to be used once a year for 3 years. I always wore protective clothing, mask, goggles when handling the stuff. I didn't like using it, but it was a condition of having the subventions.

We can all be slack with regard to using "domestic" products though I've become more conscious of what I handle as I've got older (and wiser ....).
"I was only ...." are words of regret ...

Hotrodder

#15 Post by Hotrodder »

It looks like Monsanto has been successful in bribing the EU head honchos to lift the Glyphosate ban. Such a shame but typical of today's powerful multinationals. They managed to stifle/discredit/prevent publication of all independent assessment of the role Glyphosate plays in cancer for years. Money talks.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

#16 Post by niemeyjt »

Hotrodder wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:52 pmIt looks like Monsanto has been successful in bribing the EU head honchos to lift the Glyphosate ban. Such a shame but typical of today's powerful multinationals. They managed to stifle/discredit/prevent publication of all independent assessment of the role Glyphosate plays in cancer for years. Money talks.
See my note above - it is Bayer now, a German company - the old US-based Monsanto is no more.

Quiksilver

#17 Post by Quiksilver »

Which is a bit of a co-incidence, isn't it? :D I'm not a gambling type, but I wish I'd had a few euros on that particular u-turn :lol:

Hotrodder

#18 Post by Hotrodder »

niemeyjt wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:15 pm
Hotrodder wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:52 pmIt looks like Monsanto has been successful in bribing the EU head honchos to lift the Glyphosate ban. Such a shame but typical of today's powerful multinationals. They managed to stifle/discredit/prevent publication of all independent assessment of the role Glyphosate plays in cancer for years. Money talks.
See my note above - it is Bayer now, a German company - the old US-based Monsanto is no more.
It still looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck regardless of name change.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

#19 Post by niemeyjt »

Yes - but it's now a German duck, not a US duck - and Germany is in EU whereas US is not - and these are EU rules . . .

L Austin France

#20 Post by L Austin France »

niemeyjt wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:45 am Yes - but it's now a German duck, not a US duck - and Germany is in EU whereas US is not - and these are EU rules . . .
They're all quackers