Woodpecker?

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
manonthemoon2

Woodpecker?

#1 Post by manonthemoon2 »

What are the birds called in France please?

I'm trying to find a bird feeder because the ones we get visited by don't seem to like the small bird feeders. The feeder on amazon uk allows them to be with their backs facing the floor.

Thanks

L Austin France

Woodpecker?

#2 Post by L Austin France »

manonthemoon2 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:53 pm What are the birds called in France please?
Pic Vert or Pivert

hughnique

Woodpecker?

#3 Post by hughnique »

That's why I got funny looks when I tried to explain that a bloke in our village was a Pervert. Albeit he did expose his "pecker" to a few of the local ladies.

Trelawney

Woodpecker?

#4 Post by Trelawney »

grand pic épeiche Is the Google translation of Greater Spotted Woodpecker which we see more of than the bigger Green Woodpeckers. Last year we were visited by a Wryneck which is from the same family. I suspect it was a once in a lifetime event.

Lori

Woodpecker?

#5 Post by Lori »

We see a lot of the beautiful green woodpeckers here. Lots of beautiful birds around these days.

elsie

Woodpecker?

#6 Post by elsie »

I get both green and great-spotted woodpeckers visiting standard fat ball feeders. Better than having to find the expensive suet seed blocks needed for the upside down feeders
woodpecker.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doug

Woodpecker?

#7 Post by Doug »

elsie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:06 am I get both green and great-spotted woodpeckers visiting standard fat ball feeders. Better than having to find the expensive suet seed blocks needed for the upside down feeders
woodpecker.jpg
Same here, lesser spotted as well.
Also the black woodpecker but it's very shy and just flits through our trees.

manonthemoon2

Woodpecker?

#8 Post by manonthemoon2 »

elsie wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:06 am I get both green and great-spotted woodpeckers visiting standard fat ball feeders. Better than having to find the expensive suet seed blocks needed for the upside down feeders
woodpecker.jpg
Great photo Elsie, that is the type we get.

Trelawney

Woodpecker?

#9 Post by Trelawney »

Doug wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:25 am
woodpecker.jpg
Same here, lesser spotted as well.
Also the black woodpecker but it's very shy and just flits through our trees.
I have seen lesser spotted woodpeckers in UK and France but only rarely. Our woodpeckers don’t have the luxury of feeders but feed naturally in our trees and also on the ground in the orchard. You are very lucky to have black woodpeckers; I don’t recall ever seeing one. Do they drill on the tree trunks as normal?

A.N.Other

Woodpecker?

#10 Post by A.N.Other »

Buggers used to peck holes in my gable end soffit boards!

Sounded hollow but there was no accessible space above them.

One more thing I definitely don't miss about France!