Start of the New Season

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
Veem

Start of the New Season

#1 Post by Veem »

This morning at around 10.30 I heard the first two shots from a hunter's gun. I hope the animals will soon get used to hiding again. 6 months to go.

Doug

Re: Start of the New Season

#2 Post by Doug »

They have been a la chass here since beginning of august trying to thin out the many sanglier.

Bayleaf

#3 Post by Bayleaf »

Made the mistake of taking my two fluffly muppets (shetland/welsh and oversized donkey) for a walk last Sunday - only to meet a convoy of Chasse. I forgot it was that time of year already, and swore - a lot! :roll: The muppets were already a bit frisky as it was the first time they've been for a walk for ages, and I was rapidly losing control (donkey could dislocate a shoulder very easily if the mood takes him!). All the vehicles halted in the road - single chemin, thinking I was taking animals to the first field with an open gate. I wasn't, but the muppets said different. I got a fit of giggles and lost all strength in my arms, so just let go their ropes and let the little buggers bolt off into the field, bucking and farting a lap of honour, while I stood in the gateway as a dozen or so 4x4 passed slowly behind me. My language was pretty colourful I have to say, and I wondered what the hunters thought of our performance! :lol:

We've let our little valley of land get quite wild over the years, so hopefully it has now become an excellent hiding place for all wildlife. I may be wrong, but I'd heard that deer and wildboard are actually bred in certain areas, to then release into the wild for hunting. Which kind of makes no sense if the numbers are then troublesome ....

Doug

#4 Post by Doug »

Bayleaf wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:17 pm We've let our little valley of land get quite wild over the years, so hopefully it has now become an excellent hiding place for all wildlife. I may be wrong, but I'd heard that deer and wildboard are actually bred in certain areas, to then release into the wild for hunting. Which kind of makes no sense if the numbers are then troublesome ....
Yet another mistake?
Certainly with breeding sanglier deer for the chass. You obviously havn't seen on tv the distruction which they do, both here and now over in the uk them being protected for years.
Yes in some places they are bred but for the meat not to release into the countryside.
However people hate hunting, when it comes to damage and destruction of trees and food crops something has to be done.
In total agreement concerning the unessesary shooting of beautiful, harmless birds, which happens in the Pyrenees and coasts..
Last edited by Doug on Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wilbro

#5 Post by Wilbro »

[mention]Doug[/mention] Yes something should be done but only by properly trained marksmen. These idiotic bands of over enthusiastic sadists should be curtailed.

Veem

#6 Post by Veem »

Sorry Char. I didn't notice your Pop, pop thread when I started this one.

Char
Site Admin

#7 Post by Char »

Veem wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:46 pm Sorry Char. I didn't notice your Pop, pop thread when I started this one.
Don't worry Veem - I didn't notice yours either. Mine wasn't in the correct place and it didn't have a very obvious title.

mysty

#8 Post by mysty »

Bayleaf wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:17 pm Made the mistake of taking my two fluffly muppets (shetland/welsh and oversized donkey) for a walk last Sunday - only to meet a convoy of Chasse. I forgot it was that time of year already, and swore - a lot! :roll: The muppets were already a bit frisky as it was the first time they've been for a walk for ages, and I was rapidly losing control (donkey could dislocate a shoulder very easily if the mood takes him!). All the vehicles halted in the road - single chemin, thinking I was taking animals to the first field with an open gate. I wasn't, but the muppets said different. I got a fit of giggles and lost all strength in my arms, so just let go their ropes and let the little buggers bolt off into the field, bucking and farting a lap of honour, while I stood in the gateway as a dozen or so 4x4 passed slowly behind me. My language was pretty colourful I have to say, and I wondered what the hunters thought of our performance! :lol:

We've let our little valley of land get quite wild over the years, so hopefully it has now become an excellent hiding place for all wildlife. I may be wrong, but I'd heard that deer and wildboard are actually bred in certain areas, to then release into the wild for hunting. Which kind of makes no sense if the numbers are then troublesome ....
Most of us just have a dog to walk :lol: