Répulsif/Repellent Loir

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
Bayleaf

Répulsif/Repellent Loir

#1 Post by Bayleaf »

After 17 odd (literally) years living in our comfy but ramshackle old farmhouse, it appears the pesky (but oh so cute!) Loirs have found our attic space. Either that, or the mice have acquired boots to stomp around in. I could be to blame, as I put a large tray of walnuts to dry on the landing a couple of months ago. Then started to hear a funny tapping noise in the night but thought it was a bird on the window. Turns out, something had sniffed out fresh walnuts and was removing them gradually from the tray, to set up camp somewhere in parts of the house inaccessible to humans (clever Loir!). As the back of our house is built into the hill, I guess it was all too easy to gain access through the thick but at times crumbly walls. :roll:

It's pretty much impossible to get into the remaining attic space, as most of the house is pitch-roofed, and I'm not into chucking poison about anyway (and Loir are a protected species). But I'm interesting to know if anyone has had success with these little plug-in ultra-sound devices that supposedly keep all little critters away. But don't present a problem for any resident cats. (And no, I'm not putting a cat up in the attic - there's too much rockwool up there!)

hughnique

Répulsif/Repellent Loir

#2 Post by hughnique »

Can you get one of the small piege type traps and bait it up?

Bayleaf

Répulsif/Repellent Loir

#3 Post by Bayleaf »

I'd rather just deter them from coming in. Don't really want to get into the "catch and despatch" situation. Having done some research, there seems to be a popular plug-in device that also (apparently) deters other unwanted little critters from wanting to live in our house. Just wondered if anyone here had experience of them.

AmandaJ

Répulsif/Repellent Loir

#4 Post by AmandaJ »

We have an ultrasound thingy plugged in upstairs in our bedroom (which is in part of the mostly un-renovated attic).

Sometimes I think it is helping keep the loir at bay, other times I realise it probably isn't really effective :?

Overall I would say there has been a very slight lessening of the night time clog dancing, so I've left it plugged in but am reluctant to buy another. Sorry, I know that's not a lot of help.

ajm

Répulsif/Repellent Loir

#5 Post by ajm »

AmandaJ wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:25 am We have an ultrasound thingy plugged in upstairs in our bedroom (which is in part of the mostly un-renovated attic).

Sometimes I think it is helping keep the loir at bay, other times I realise it probably isn't really effective :?

Overall I would say there has been a very slight lessening of the night time clog dancing, so I've left it plugged in but am reluctant to buy another. Sorry, I know that's not a lot of help.
We have one in the loft for mice - it seems to have made a difference - but not 100%

Polarengineer

Répulsif/Repellent Loir

#6 Post by Polarengineer »

I think you will find that these beasties are known as dormice because they do hibernate in winter. I expect you have mice in your loft.I also have an ultrasonic gadget with similar limited success, but I feel they are worth it. They have no effect on our cats that I can tell.

Wilbro

Répulsif/Repellent Loir

#7 Post by Wilbro »

We have found the ultra-sound devices useless. I tested one once by putting a baited trap next to one so the sound would be 6" from the mouse. The little devil stole the cheese without springing the trap!
Last summer I bought the humane traps and cleared 17 mice out of the loft but the downside is the regular checking and having to drive them some distance away to let them go or they come back (1k in my case). I prefer this as I believe in live and let live.

Bayleaf

Répulsif/Repellent Loir

#8 Post by Bayleaf »

Polarengineer wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:43 am I think you will find that these beasties are known as dormice because they do hibernate in winter. I expect you have mice in your loft.I also have an ultrasonic gadget with similar limited success, but I feel they are worth it. They have no effect on our cats that I can tell.
That's what I thought that loir (edible dormice to the French!) hibernate, and I'm used to the sound of little mice above my head. But whatever these creatures are - they sound much bigger than your average mouse! :?

tagh

Répulsif/Repellent Loir

#9 Post by tagh »

Move the walnuts!

Polarengineer

Répulsif/Repellent Loir

#10 Post by Polarengineer »

It could be a pine martin moved in, in that case an ultrasonic scarecrow will not be much use. You will have to resort to humane traps, but then take them a long long way into the woods away from your house before you release them