French passport for English dog?

:dog2::cat2: Keeping dogs, cats and all other pets in France
Spardo

French passport for English dog?

#1 Post by Spardo »

Lunching with our English friends yesterday we got to talking about how much money they had spent bringing their Collie with them and worries about getting her back home again should rules change.

Visiting to our local vet here for a health reason they raised the subject with the youngish and helpful English speaking lady vet. She said that, as they had a French address, though not French residency, she could furnish her with a French passport which should save them a lot of trouble and expense.

They are not so sure, and neither am I, so I said I would ask.

Any thoughts ?

exile

Re: French passport for English dog?

#2 Post by exile »

The only question I would have is the rabies jab validity. I think that for crossing international borders it only has a 12 month validity in France even though for animals staying within French borders the time period between jabs has been extended and for animals with a UK passport the 3 year validity is accepted.

I know the vet always checks with us regarding the cats and rabies injection.

This could potentially tie down the dog owners to having to come to France for the renewal.

Spardo

#3 Post by Spardo »

Thanks Andy, yes a good thought, but wouldn't the 3 year English jab be acceptable in France, even on a French passport? It has already been accepted for them to come here.

So could they not jab here on the new passport just the once, and then before the year was up, get an English 3 year one to continue with?

I'll pass it on nevertheless. :)

Char
Site Admin

#4 Post by Char »

Taken from a vets website in the UK

UK nationals with an EU residential address

If you have an EU residential address, e.g., a second home, and plan to travel to the EU with your pet multiple times, you should be able to get an EU PETS passport issued by an EU vet next time you are in the EU. That will allow you to trave back and forth between the UK and EU as often as you like, with no other documentation, provided the rabies vaccination is kept up to date and, if you travel with a dog, that dog is wormed 1-5 days before entering the UK (in other words, exactly the same conditions as the PETS passports that we could provide before Brexit). That will be far cheaper and far less hassle than it will be to get an Animal Health Certificate each time you travel.

If you have been in the UK since Brexit, you will still need an Animal Health Certificate to get to the EU the first time you travel post-Brexit. Hopefully, EU vets will accept a UK Animal Health Certificate as adequate proof of rabies vaccination that they can enter into your EU PETS passport (if not, just get another rabies vaccination for your pet - that is not a problem). Once you have an EU-issued PETS passport, you will need to ensure the rabies vaccine in the PETS passport does not expire when you are in the UK because UK vets are no longer allowed to enter a rabies vaccination in an EU PETS passport, so if the rabies vaccination expires while you are in the UK you will need another Animal Health Certificate to get back to the EU.
https://www.chippingnortonvets.co.uk/pet-travel/

Spardo

#5 Post by Spardo »

Thank you very much [mention]Char[/mention] that is very helpful and I have passed it on to my friends. Also what I said above:
So could they not jab here on the new passport just the once, and then before the year was up, get an English 3 year one to continue with?
obviously would not work, they would have to make sure they were back in France before the necessary renewal date of the French rabies vacc.

Any idea what the minimum time limit is after the jab before travel?

Of course, even though they live in Sunderland, if push came to shove and they were in danger of missing the deadline I suppose they could always have a day trip to Calais to renew it. As long as the valid one had enough on it to get them back again of course. What a mess, so glad I am out of it now. :roll:

Char
Site Admin

#6 Post by Char »

I think it's three weeks. If their dog had a rabies jab in the UK before coming over here, then their French Vet might be willing to put that on the passport - that might give them longer depending on when the dog had the jab in the UK.

Spardo

#7 Post by Spardo »

Char wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:46 pm I think it's three weeks. If their dog had a rabies jab in the UK before coming over here, then their French Vet might be willing to put that on the passport - that might give them longer depending on when the dog had the jab in the UK.
It was last March, Char, so I don't think that will work, but they are going to talk to the English speaking vet, also Charlotte, soon to see what she says. :)

exile

#8 Post by exile »

I can confirm Char's timescale - 21 days (ie three weeks).

Spardo

#9 Post by Spardo »

Thanks., I'll pass that on, but I think they may have left it too late, not sure but I think they are off back before then.

exile

#10 Post by exile »

I assume they can return on their UK pet passport.
Having the French one means that they won't have the aggro next time they come back to France.