Off to school next week

:dog2::cat2: Keeping dogs, cats and all other pets in France
L Austin France

Off to school next week

#1 Post by L Austin France »

This morning Mme LAF took Jessie for an evaluation at the local Dog training school http://www.celticdogs.fr/.
Jess got to run with the owners dog in a large enclosure & had a great time.
The owner/trainer thought Jess was an lovely mutt & a good candidate for training but I guess he says that to all the dogs :)
Mme was impressed with the set up & has signed up for a course of lessons.
Nous verrons.

Blaze

Off to school next week

#2 Post by Blaze »

Our adopted border collie and he loved his training sessions (a police dog handler took the class). We all had so many laughs as well - I remember a young lad with a teckel .... so disobedient but so loveable !
We've taken Rafal to some classes here - excellent trainer and we have to do a lot of homework. At first he was quite stressed, even in individual lessons - probably the concentration. We want to do some more group sessions though he's generally pretty good with other dogs;
There are just certain things that will take longer to sort out ....

L Austin France

Off to school next week

#3 Post by L Austin France »

The owner of the dog training school Jessie attends recommended a lady dog breeder who takes in 'guests' which live with her & her Leonbergers in the house.
We thought it would be great for Jess to meet & live with other dogs so yesterday took her to meet said lady & her 'lions' & having passed the first 'interview' she is staying overnight tonight as a test for her, us, lady & lions.
If it works out it will be brilliant for us to be able to 'book in' Jess to enable us to holiday sans mutt if the situation demands.
Any road, Mme dropped her off this afternoon, complete with bed etc & returned home full of trepidation.
Needn't have worried though as lady has sent us upteen videos of Jess bossing & playing with the monster Leonbergers. Lady says " she's adorable, & a pleasure to have as a guest".
So far so good & as long as she sleeps OK tonight it's looking like a it'll work out well for Jess & us.

Blaze

Off to school next week

#4 Post by Blaze »

That sounds ideal. We used to be able to do that with our BCs when we lived in Maine et Loire. Wonderful family, our doggies grew up with their children.
We haven't found any equivalent here but have taken Rafal to local kennels a couple of times. He's put with other dogs during the day so he's not shut up on his own.

Leonbergers are enormous .... gentle giants, hope Jessie has fun !

Lori

Off to school next week

#5 Post by Lori »

I had to look up what a Leonberger is. Oh my gosh ! So beautiful.

They must eat a lot.

Veem

Off to school next week

#6 Post by Veem »

Blaze, had you said the lad had an obedient teckel I would have struggled to believe it! Frodo would like you to know he's not disobedient, he simply makes a decision to do something else!

LAF Our two BC x Lab brothers (sadly now gone, but who Blaze remembers back to when we first adopted them) went to agility classes for ages and loved most of it. Their degree of enjoyment closely matched the quality of the weather.

Blaze

Off to school next week

#7 Post by Blaze »

Veem wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:53 am Blaze, had you said the lad had an obedient teckel I would have struggled to believe it! Frodo would like you to know he's not disobedient, he simply makes a decision to do something else!
:lol: They have a mind of their own, and the lad's teckel's antics had everyone in stitches !
Ah, yes, Veem, we both had a Blaze ... very special dogs.

L Austin France

Off to school next week

#8 Post by L Austin France »

Just back from Jessie's first night away from home.
Apparently she got on well with four Lions & lady who initially sent us regular videos to show all was well.
Jess only slightly blotted her copy book by whining when left to sleep alone in lounge which is no surprise as she sleeps in bedroom 'at home'.
Lady wasn't bothered, loved having Jess there with her & said she's welcome to stay anytime.
Great place for holidaying mutts . :D

L Austin France

Off to school next week

#9 Post by L Austin France »

Mme & Mutt went for another training session yesterday.
Mme started to tell the trainer that Jess had stayed with the lady he recommended when he said he knew as lady had sent him videos of Jess playing with her 'lions' & said what a delight Jess was.
Trainer told Mme that if we ever go on holiday & leave Jess with lady he'll be available if there are any problems.
Seems like we've found a great team who all like Jessie. :D

L Austin France

Off to school next week

#10 Post by L Austin France »

Jessie always gets a bit anxious when her principal walker & feeder is absent but more so when left alone where she tests doors to find a way out.
This morning Mme was at hairdressers & I had to do a bit of shopping so all outside doors were well locked.
I returned & went to do a few things upstairs only to return to find doors open & Jess gone.
My fault completely in not closing doors properly but an absolute bonus when I spotted her way down the road & she came back imediately to my whistle.
We've often wondered if her hunting instincts would overcome the recall we'd been trying.
Bit scary at the time but all's well that ended well & Mme was so happy Jess came back on command she forgot to bollock me for my lax security. :D