Which de-tangler ?

:dog2::cat2: Keeping dogs, cats and all other pets in France
Blaze

Which de-tangler ?

#1 Post by Blaze »

We picked up Rafal from the kennels this morning and gave him a shower. In spite of giving him a really good brush, he's now got a fair amount of knots. We're both fully aware it's the moulting season, but how to tackle his matted coat ? Years ago, our new border collie rescue rolled in fox shite after a bath and after a second bath, his coat was horribly matted. It took 3 days to tease it out.

So, is there a good de-tangler that would make the job easier ? He's a bit of a fidget so I could see this job taking more than 3 days .....

He had great fun at the kennels and apparently was rather excitable. The dog that's come home seems absolutely knackered - he's even lying on a rug in front of the fire, a first !

Lori

Which de-tangler ?

#2 Post by Lori »

Oh yes, whenever our dog stayed at the kennel, he came back exhausted.

As to the de-tangler, I guess it would depend on how much trouble you are willing to go through. I would try rinsing him with warm water and generously applying a good aprés shampooing (human style).

It could require more than one application.

Blaze

Which de-tangler ?

#3 Post by Blaze »

Lori wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:00 pm I would try rinsing him with warm water and generously applying a good aprés shampooing (human style)
He had a tea tree shampoo, well rinsed, followed by a conditioner, also well rinsed. I used a mane and tail de-tangler on the horses from time to time, but that was mostly because it made them nice and shiny.
:idea: I might still have it, and it might be worth a try !

DominicBest

Which de-tangler ?

#4 Post by DominicBest »

‘He had great fun at the kennels and apparently was rather excitable. The dog that's come home seems absolutely knackered - he's even lying on a rug in front of the fire, a first !’
CC784EB7-2A93-41BC-B454-EF49B89D98F2.jpeg
Perle (the dog) had a great time at the camping weekend I attended a couple of weeks ago.There was so much to do, so much to look at. Apparently when he got home he slept for 17 hours flat out. Pascal his owner looks as though he was having enough trouble getting through the Saturday afternoon. 🙂💤💤💤
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hotrodder

Which de-tangler ?

#5 Post by Hotrodder »

A device from the Furminator range worked well on our long-haired Alsatian to thin out her coat and deal with the burrs she picked up in the Charente. Dozens to choose from for specific problems with pet fur.
Last edited by Hotrodder on Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Blaze

Which de-tangler ?

#6 Post by Blaze »

We've got all sorts of brushes, combs - and a Furminator - but the problem is the matting which can't just be brushed. We knew it would probably happen so it will just require patience and time. Rafal is quite sensitive along his back so we have to be careful. Anything that's too bad will jus be cut out, job done !

MAD87

Which de-tangler ?

#7 Post by MAD87 »

When I had my English Setter, I read somewhere that de-matting was easier with dry fur. Whatever. It didn't seem to make any difference and I ended up cutting out the tangles. Life's too short to faff around.

DominicBest

Which de-tangler ?

#8 Post by DominicBest »

I had a girlfriend who used to use her own hair conditioner on her horse’s tail to make it easy to brush. She said it made a huge difference.
686CF11E-3BEA-40FF-A66F-6ED4D087A9F6.jpeg
This creature just needed a lot of combing. Luckily she enjoyed the attention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hotrodder

Which de-tangler ?

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

What breed of horse is that?
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Blaze

Which de-tangler ?

#10 Post by Blaze »

I've just tried the horse stuff and it seems to have worked quite well .... just a case of little and often.
Rafal generally keeps himself well and we don't have to spend long brushing him from time to time.

IMGP8811.JPG