Swimming pool: a one day project?

🏊 Buying, building and maintaining pools and swimming ponds in France.
RobertArthur

Swimming pool: a one day project?

#1 Post by RobertArthur »

Accordng to the French magazine SystèmeD this should, or could, be a one day project. More information about the construction, maintenance and regulations concerning swimming pools have been included in the many links.

Crystal

Re: Swimming pool: a one day project?

#2 Post by Crystal »

I'd love to have a pool like that, it looks quite easy to build and the price isn't extortionate, but I'm put off by hearing others complaining about how much hard work they are to maintain and keep the water right, etc.

Do any of you have pools? If so, how long do you spend each day/week on maintenance - and are they really worth the bother?

Spardo

#3 Post by Spardo »

I have a pond Crystal, not a pool, surrounded by tall trees. I swim at least twice a day and immediately spend 5 minutes skimming leaves with a net. I am in the process of bringing it back from several years neglect and am still dredging leaves from the bottom. When that is finished it will just be the skimming, but that will get more onerous when the autumn arrives. Because it is a pond, and irregular in size, it cannot be covered (I have tried in the past). If you have a pool that should not be a problem, but one thing you will have which I haven't, chemicals and filters. ;) :D

Hotrodder

#4 Post by Hotrodder »

Back when I was mucking out gites I had to maintain a pool for a client. When there were guests I had to attend daily. When not being used it was still a weekly chore just to keep it ready for use at short notice. I vowed never to own a pool unless I was rich enough to have someone else maintain it.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Doug

#5 Post by Doug »

Exactly the same with us [mention]Hotrodder[/mention] for over 20 years we had b&b and gites with pools, the work and cost of keeping them proper was enough to last the rest of our life.
On purchasing this place 10 years ago all French neighbours asked " are you going to fit a pool" as thats what most brits do, they seemed surprised on being told NO.

suein56

#6 Post by suein56 »

Doug wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:02 am On purchasing this place 10 years ago all French neighbours asked " are you going to fit a pool" as thats what most brits do, they seemed surprised on being told NO.
But it's what many/most French people ask for when buying in southern parts of France .. they are interested in houses where the garden is 'piscinable'.

Hotrodder

#7 Post by Hotrodder »

I would guess that French people buying in that area can afford professional maintenance.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Crystal

#8 Post by Crystal »

Well that confirms what I thought ... I'll just make do with dipping my feet in grandson's blow up paddling pool. :roll:

Spardo

#9 Post by Spardo »

Pond, not pool, way to go. Just a bit of skimming, and dredging now and then, no filters, no chemicals, no electrics, and swimming with the wildlife. What's not to like? :lol:

Hotrodder

#10 Post by Hotrodder »

Leeches?