Tax Ombudsman?

L Austin France

Tax Ombudsman?

#1 Post by L Austin France »

Is there such a thing?
We're getting a right run-around by our local tax office following submission of our last tax decleration.
They first of all reimbursed us almost 1,500€ direct to our bank which was incorrect & that took umpteen phone calls & a meeting to sort out & repay.
They then proceeded to do the opposite & charge us social charges & bill us accordingly.
It's almost impossible to phone the office recently & to speak to anyone remotely interested face to face is a joke.
Yesterday my wife had an arranged meeting at the tax office & was met with a spotty youth who admitted he knew nothing about the S1 situation & told her to just pay the bill & sort it out later! When my wife said she'd rather sort it out now the spotty one asked if we had a problem paying the bill.
This has been going on for a few months now & we're now wondering just who we can talk to who might be interested in sorting this out.
Nothing has changed in all of the time we've been declaring our income but all of a sudden they want to charge us social charges & refuse to listen to our arguments to the contrary or explain why they now wish to do this.
It's very frustrating when nobody in the local tax office is interested.

MAD87

Tax Ombudsman?

#2 Post by MAD87 »

Nomoss

Tax Ombudsman?

#3 Post by Nomoss »

You might also be able to get help and advice from your local France Services office
https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/france-services

L Austin France

Tax Ombudsman?

#4 Post by L Austin France »

Mrs LAF has just returned from the 6th visit to our local tax dragons lairs. I was banned as I threatened to punch the spotty youth if he showed his face.
Turned out she'd written a long & complaining mail to our head tax office in Quimper as we were getting the run around from the sub office we were supposed to deal with & it was there that a meeting was arranged.
The person she was supposed to meet was on strike but her replacement was affable & had our file to hand.
The meeting was in a 'proper' office where paperwork was able to be spread out on a desk rather than being shoved back & forth through a slot in a perpex screen & every item my wife had marked up as wrong was OK'd with the friendly dragon agreeing that the whole thing was a total mess on the part of the sub tax office & that our initial declaration was correct.
One large & incorrect repayment to us started this debacle followed by this being taken back from our bank a/c. when we told them we weren't due a refund. This was followed by a smaller sum of tax due being taken from our a/c followed rapidly by a letter telling us we were wrong in our position that social charges etc were not payable on our income & enclosing a demand for a substantial sum due for immediate payment which they took from our bank within days.
We now await confirmation of the meeting & reimbursement of the money they 'stole' from our a/c.
We're not holding our breath for an apology for 6 round trips to their lairs & countless hours on the part of Mrs LAF trying to convince the uncaring idiot dragons of their inadequasies but hopefully this is the end of a saga that's been going on for yonks.
Either way, chapeau to my my missus for her perseverance. :D

Polarengineer

Tax Ombudsman?

#5 Post by Polarengineer »

She obviously did a good job. I'm sure you must have upped her ego a bit. Where would we be without'em.

exile

Tax Ombudsman?

#6 Post by exile »

Chapeau indeed.

I assume you made a paper submission.
I had the same problem with a paper submission where whoever input the data filed in the wrong box and had our incomes down as non-taxable if France, which like you, resulted in a substantial repayment of all my payments that far. I did manage to resolve it in one meeting with my equivalent of the spotty youth - a newly haired bearded youth (probably covers the spots.)

L Austin France

Tax Ombudsman?

#7 Post by L Austin France »

exile wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:43 pm Chapeau indeed.

I assume you made a paper submission.
I had the same problem with a paper submission where whoever input the data filed in the wrong box and had our incomes down as non-taxable if France, which like you, resulted in a substantial repayment of all my payments that far. I did manage to resolve it in one meeting with my equivalent of the spotty youth - a newly haired bearded youth (probably covers the spots.)
It was an online submission as all the previous have been since they were put online.
No problems for ages until this last years declaration when it would appear that whoever put our details onto their computer took it into their heads to decide we were not UK citizens with S1 & all that entailed.

Mangetout

Tax Ombudsman?

#8 Post by Mangetout »

I've had similar problems in the past, the last one being caused by some idiot inputting data incorrectly, and I had to undergo 2 pretty fierce interrogations at a time when my husband was battling to stay alive. I'll never forgive them for that. When someone is dying it's the last thing they need.

MAD87

Tax Ombudsman?

#9 Post by MAD87 »

Bravo Madame L'AF.

Nomoss

Tax Ombudsman?

#10 Post by Nomoss »

I've had a few misunderstandings about our tax calculations, but have always sorted them out using email or the online messaging system.

I'm quite sure everyone is concerned about their responses when they are preserved for all to see in a permanent record.